clubs & digital
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: clubs & digital

Tech Wizard

Default clubs & digital

A friend of mine who happens to be a pretty good digital DJ and occasionally works in clubs told me that they're not too fond of Digital DJs, that they don't consider them to be real DJs, as opposed to people who mix CDJs.

Have you ever been rejected for working digitally? How should a digital DJ present himself in order not to come off as a fake?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I haven't been rejected, but lord knows I've had to "justify" it to the people there. They wanted me to "prove" I could DJ, and, well, it either ended with me walking away politely or having a gig, usually where they give it up cause, well, in my humble opinion, I don't suck.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Default hey

Hey guys I am going digital, and the old dj who have been practising on cdj for a while dont like me, because i can do stuff that they cant ;]
    auto sync, scratch same way, cue point juggling and having my entire library on computer, etc. Because i have more controll on stuff with smallest controller ever that fits my dj bag and i dont need that much of a space in the club either.
    So its their own business, if you good enough it doesnt matter what u use mang
    chears!!!
    f0tif0

Vinyl/CDJ DJ's hate on digital dj's, why? Well 1st, the vinyl dj's hate the fact that we dont have to carry 4 to 5 crates of vinyl to do a set compared to our laptop & external HD and controller. 2nd CDJ Dj's dont like that they are limited to echo/flanger/phase or what ever FX the cd player/mixer. 3rd if your a really good digital dj, they hate the fact that they dont have a clue what your doing and they evny that you can do something they cannot.

I've been a digital dj since 2002 and only spin on vinyl as a luxury and cds are used as a backup. I use traktor, and I even get hated on cuz I dont use serato. So no matter what you use, chances are someone is going to hate....thats something that I had to deal with since I started dj-ing back in 1992
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

I would be pissed too if I spent so much money on CDJs and a mixer when there are these midi tools such as the VCI that are waaay more efficient with waaaay more functionality. lol
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

Tech Guru

and way cheaper tooo!
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I have to say (hopefully one of few) that I have actually been rejected from a gig because I use traktor and a controller. The guy (promoter + DJ) said it was cheating... I laugh in his face and told him he was playing over people's music. Then he changed his tone and said its just too much work to hook my stuff up when they have there own system set up already. It was some cheap ass numark dual cd player. Kind of looked like this:

I guess it was a blessing though. Cause I heard he like to rip DJs off. Turd.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Yeah u guys totaly right about cdjs not knowing what r we digitals doing and that most of the time we can trigger whatever anything and we create more of a show wise.
    I am gonna tell you one experience i had in local club here in DC.
    At that time i was running serato where i set all the cue points that i could trigger 4 cues on each deck, so i started cue juggling and people looked at me like man is that him doing it. they came up to dj booth and start staring at me, than bartender called every other bartender and security to check it out+ i added some scratching they where shocked guys.
    like they never seen that before.
    It was awesome feeling that everyone was staring at you and once they gathered all together i pushed the knob with really powerfull fog to blind everyone ;]]]]]]]]]]
    f0tif0

Hahaha that's pretty funny F0tif0
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by f0tif0 View Post
    Yeah u guys totaly right about cdjs not knowing what r we digitals doing and that most of the time we can trigger whatever anything and we create more of a show wise.
    I am gonna tell you one experience i had in local club here in DC.
    At that time i was running serato where i set all the cue points that i could trigger 4 cues on each deck, so i started cue juggling and people looked at me like man is that him doing it. they came up to dj booth and start staring at me, than bartender called every other bartender and security to check it out+ i added some scratching they where shocked guys.
    like they never seen that before.
    It was awesome feeling that everyone was staring at you and once they gathered all together i pushed the knob with really powerfull fog to blind everyone ;]]]]]]]]]]
    This is all kinds of awesome!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast