August 2009 Gig Challenge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default August 2009 Gig Challenge

DJTT Community,

I wanted to post a challenge for everyone that has not yet played a live gig to go out and do it this August! Be it a friend's house party or a paid gig at a club, I want people to venture out of the privacy of their own home and play a live set for people.

I would like to see this thread become a support center for those willing to take the challenge. We can discuss the things we have done to set up the gig, prep our music and equipment, some of the techniques we will use, and finally post some photos and maybe audio streams of our final performance.

I'm willing to take the challenge, who else is on?

i like this idea a lot. part of being a successful DJ is having the balls to go out and just do some stuff, whether it be talking to bar/club owners, handing out demos to everyone you see, or taking it into your own hands and creating your own party when no one else will give you a shot. this is the first step. i encourage everyone who doesn't play out much (or at all) to take this up and do it. you won't regret it (most likely )
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Shit I'd be so up for this in a month or two. I have yet to perform my first ever complete mix so I feel it's a bit early to go job chasing (even though I'm actually prepping some contacts to get me going when I'm ready)
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Ok got mine booked, new old-skool rap night opening in manchester, uk and playing the opening party.

last week i got booked for a gig at the 28. of august, so i´m taking the challenge.
    btw. it was the first bookin request. i didn´t had to ask someone...so it feels like warm honey getting asked to play at club
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

congrats ed now wait till they start to rush your doors
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Glad to see some people interested in the challenge. So far it sounds like we all have some type of event pre-planned. I have a house party this Saturday with an 80s theme. I'm doing it for some friends, so it wasn't really a challenge and will probably only do some simple mixing most of the night. I'm still looking to get a paid gig by the end of the month though. How did you guys go about getting your gig?

Janzak: You could take this month as an opportunity to play out to some of your friends. Much less pressure to get everything just right, you can begin to see how your music selection can affect other people, and good practice on moving/setting up all your gear.

Music-wise, I never had much of an 80s collection so I'm buying some used multi-disk compilations from Amazon and hitting up some used record/cd stores today. I'll probably round out everything I find with some iTunes songs. How have you guys gone about getting your music? If you've had to play a genre you're not used to, what resources have you looked at to find what music to play?
    Last edited by misa; 08-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    Janzak: You could take this month as an opportunity to play out to some of your friends. Much less pressure to get everything just right, you can begin to see how your music selection can affect other people, and good practice on moving/setting up all your gear.
    I was actually at a guerilla party under a highway yesterday and while the location was great and the crowd was open to everything, the DJ pretty much sucked... she had OK technique (CDJ, she matched beats and used the xfader sometimes), her music selection blew for the situation (12 minute minimal house loops don't quite raise the clouds) and while I don't wanna be a "I can do that better" snob... I think I quite could the crowd was starving, and I'm getting back to the guys promoting the party

Quote Originally Posted by misa View Post
    Music-wise, I never had much of an 80s collection so I'm buying some used multi-disk compilations from Amazon and hitting up some used record/cd stores today.
    Good idea man! That'll find those gems super quick instead of raiding iTunes
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    I was actually at a guerilla party under a highway yesterday and while the location was great and the crowd was open to everything, the DJ pretty much sucked... she had OK technique (CDJ, she matched beats and used the xfader sometimes), her music selection blew for the situation (12 minute minimal house loops don't quite raise the clouds) and while I don't wanna be a "I can do that better" snob... I think I quite could the crowd was starving, and I'm getting back to the guys promoting the party
    dude that sounds like my kind of party? were they just using generators to power everything? i've been trying to think of the logistics of this. was it visible from the road/how did you find out about it?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I'm doing the next to Saturday nights/Sunday Mornings here:

2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast