Need help deciding between 2 mixers : Ecler Nuo 3.0 or AH Xone42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help deciding between 2 mixers : Ecler Nuo 3.0 or AH Xone42

Hi all,

I am ditching my Pio DJM800 next week as I have transitioned recently from CDJ's into Traktor/Maschine/Controller space and I am not happy with sound quality I am currently getting. I've tried everything (swapping audio interface,cables,settings,etc) but DJM800 just sound too digital,harsh and soulless and I am at the point where I can't stand it any longer.
    I have tried and used many different brands and models and shortlisted just two which really appeal to me but the problem is that I didn't had a chance to properly test these two mixers yet, due to distributors not having any stock/demo unit in SA. Basically I will be ordering one of these from overseas and this is the main reason why I need some help to make my decision.
    I used to have AH Xone 32 at the time and was happy with mixer (except dumb gains on the back) and also had a chance to play once on previous generation of Nuo (3) but since it was in 2007, I can't really remember much about Nuo except that I think overall impression was good.
    Basically these are the reasons why I am still undecided :

Nuo 3.0

- Big fat knobs
    they are really looking massive from pictures/videos and I am not sure how these compare to all other mixers. Honestly I am used to Pio/AH knobs size and it seems this might be issue for me.
    - Knobs on the front of the mixer
    this might be a nightmare for transport as knobs might break in the case/bag

AH Xone 42

- It is bigger and heavier then NUO which makes it slightly less mobile
    - Made in China from 2006/2007 and I just can't get over about this as Xone 32 I had was a silver UK version and it was built like tank. Also noticed that some users are posting you tube videos and photos regard manufacturing faults which really makes this mixer look bad in my eyes.

It would be great if any Nuo 3.0/Xone 42 users can share they experience/views here as that will definitely help me making my decision.
    Thanks in advance.

Tech Mentor

Would be helpfull if you told us why you decided for these two mixers in the first place, so we know what's important to you...

So far you've only posted what you don't like, which kind of makes me wonder why you want them and not anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Would be helpfull if you told us why you decided for these two mixers in the first place, so we know what's important to you...

So far you've only posted what you don't like, which kind of makes me wonder why you want them and not anything else...
    Fair enough.
    Reason why I didn't post what I like about those two mixers and focused on (imo) their weak points is because I already did detailed research regard their strong points and I don't have any objections there.I am fully aware on what both mixers have to offer but on the other hand I never used them myself and how things are looking now (no distributor or dealers in SA have any stock or they will soon) I will need to get one shipped from overseas without testing it first.
    Also one of the reasons why I choose these two from the bunch of other mixers I used to have and work with in the past (Denon 1100,1600,1700, Urei 1601, Rane, Vestax, AH Xone 32/92, almost all top Pioneer models,etc) is they seem to have everything I need right now and they are also fairly priced in my eyes and not overpriced like some other mixers.
    I never had much experience with Ecler and I always heard only good things about them, while on the other hand I kind of more-less know what I can expect from Xone 42 as previously mentioned I used to have silver Xone 32 (UK made).
    So if someone has used both or any of mentioned mixers and has some experience to share,that would really be great as it will definitely help me making my final decision.
    Last edited by ConanSaga; 12-30-2012 at 04:34 PM.

I've had my 42 for a year and a half and have played out on Nuo 3.0's several times. I play vinyl/timecode, with 3rd/4th decks usage getting scarcer and scarcer... so take my comments with a grain of salt.

No complaints about the build quality on either (and my Xone seems to be of chinese descent...)
    Really enjoyed the EQs and faders on the Nuo, both in sound quality and physical feel. For me it's a tossup between the very playable knobs on the Ecler and the firm yet smooth travel+center detent and soft touch of the Xone knobs.
    I have small hands and I'm not bothered by Ecler's choice. In fact the mixer controls are quite workable, while things may feel slightly oddly spaced on the 42 (and a bit too close together on a 92).

Loving the feel of the 42 and of course the FILTER which is so much better than Traktor's built-in 92 filter (and obviously, works when I play straight vinyl).

Big bonus on the Nuo for adjustable line fader curve and extra xfader controls (even though I don't scratch). Booh at the headphone jack location (well, it was in a flight case most of the time, so my straight headphone plug made things annoying).

Kudos to Ecler for having a proper send/return loop, I find the 42's worthless at this due to it being a single knob...

Not sure how hard you can drive the Ecler before it distorts noticeably. (Even though we like to pretend we're cool and only mix in the green, sometimes it's not feasible at gigs !)

--Phono section largely irrelevant to you but here goes nonetheless--
    More points for Ecler with the three phono preamps.
    Annoyed at the 42's only two phonos and their positioning on channels 1/4. I don't (yet) play three vinyl decks at home, but I enjoy having my two main channels next to each other...
    My cartridges are basic Ortofons without too much output power and I'm struggling to compensate for the low volume on some records with the 42's phono gain staging. Same issue playing out on 92s, not so much on DJMs and on the Ecler.
    --end phono part--

Basically if I were in the market for a new mixer now I'd seriously consider the Ecler if I wasn't so hooked on the A&H filter.

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    I've had my 42 for a year and a half and have played out on Nuo 3.0's several times. I play vinyl/timecode, with 3rd/4th decks usage getting scarcer and scarcer... so take my comments with a grain of salt.

No complaints about the build quality on either (and my Xone seems to be of chinese descent...)
    Really enjoyed the EQs and faders on the Nuo, both in sound quality and physical feel. For me it's a tossup between the very playable knobs on the Ecler and the firm yet smooth travel+center detent and soft touch of the Xone knobs.
    I have small hands and I'm not bothered by Ecler's choice. In fact the mixer controls are quite workable, while things may feel slightly oddly spaced on the 42 (and a bit too close together on a 92).

Loving the feel of the 42 and of course the FILTER which is so much better than Traktor's built-in 92 filter (and obviously, works when I play straight vinyl).

Big bonus on the Nuo for adjustable line fader curve and extra xfader controls (even though I don't scratch). Booh at the headphone jack location (well, it was in a flight case most of the time, so my straight headphone plug made things annoying).

Kudos to Ecler for having a proper send/return loop, I find the 42's worthless at this due to it being a single knob...

Not sure how hard you can drive the Ecler before it distorts noticeably. (Even though we like to pretend we're cool and only mix in the green, sometimes it's not feasible at gigs !)

--Phono section largely irrelevant to you but here goes nonetheless--
    More points for Ecler with the three phono preamps.
    Annoyed at the 42's only two phonos and their positioning on channels 1/4. I don't (yet) play three vinyl decks at home, but I enjoy having my two main channels next to each other...
    My cartridges are basic Ortofons without too much output power and I'm struggling to compensate for the low volume on some records with the 42's phono gain staging. Same issue playing out on 92s, not so much on DJMs and on the Ecler.
    --end phono part--

Basically if I were in the market for a new mixer now I'd seriously consider the Ecler if I wasn't so hooked on the A&H filter.

This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience bumtsch.

You're welcome. One thing I forgot to add if you're concerned about build quality - it seems Ecler's DJ division has been almost brain dead for about a couple years, so I have no idea how you'd go about having a repair done should the need arise. In the meantime, A&H isn't going anywhere...

I saw a dj just last week max a nuo waaaaay into the red and the distortion wasn't noticeable.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Eclers are great - fat knobs, and warm eq. I think you'll like the eq frequency roll off in comparison to the pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    You're welcome. One thing I forgot to add if you're concerned about build quality - it seems Ecler's DJ division has been almost brain dead for about a couple years, so I have no idea how you'd go about having a repair done should the need arise. In the meantime, A&H isn't going anywhere...
    Not concerned at all as I got great deal on Nuo 3.0 literally costing 1/3 of what I originally paid for DJM800 few years ago and for that price I just can't go wrong even if Ecler decides to die on me. In my opinion Ecler mixers are just priced right - considering build, sound quality, etc and most of other mixers in same class (speaking from experience) are just overpriced.
    It is actually shocking in general, how much more expensive is industry/club standard DJ gear now days then lets say 10/15 years ago. When I got my first Tech's 1210's and DJM 600 waaaaay back it cost me approximately 500eu per deck (1210) + 800eu for DJM 600. Compare that to present day club\industry standard gear and it looks something like this - CDJ2000NXS about 1600eu per deck + one of these mixers - PIO DJM2000 about 1900eu or A&H DB4 about same price or DJM900NXS for 1600eu. In general overall price has doubled (tripled) compared to price of what used to be top DJ gear in past. That's is just ridiculous especially considering all technological advances and whole analog-> digital evolution.
    Also for example if I compare the price I paid for Xone 32 years back (2005) which I bought brand new in UK the price is still similar however the country of manufacture has changed from UK to China. If I put excuse of world economic issues on side, in my opinion A & H is making much more profit now then it used to make previously and probably same goes for Pioneer with exception that Pioneer gear is still manufactured at more-less same country/factory.

Okay, let me stop the rant and get back to the subject.
    Even though Ecler DJ division seems pretty quiet (dead) at the moment I had a good chat to their distributors here and also my best friend is living in the Canary Islands and knowing that he often spends time in Barcelona, I asked him to help me by investigating all the rumors and situation about Ecler DJ division .
    What we found out that is that Ecler DJ division is still not out of the business (at least not officially) their current lines of DJ mixers are still being produced as well as spare parts and they've just decided to shorten their staff,partially drop support and focus to more profitable area (installations,PA's,speakers,etc) due to very bad hit Spain economy took in recent EU/World financial crisis.I assume they will keep on their DJ division alive as long as people are still buying their DJ gear or who knows maybe they will join forces with some other manufacturer or even try to develop some new products and seriously compete with others again...
    Last edited by ConanSaga; 12-31-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djfunke View Post
    I saw a dj just last week max a nuo waaaaay into the red and the distortion wasn't noticeable.
    From what I could gather on Nuo's they seem to have plenty of headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    Eclers are great - fat knobs, and warm eq. I think you'll like the eq frequency roll off in comparison to the pioneer.
    I am sure I will, because with exception of their recent mixers (DJM900NXS,DJM850,etc) Pioneer was seriously lagging behind their main competitors.

By the way as being ex DJ Forums member (it is nowhere close what it used to be before) seems that we have very lively community here which is really great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast