Dads: When and how did you start teaching your kids to mix and/or scratch?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dads: When and how did you start teaching your kids to mix and/or scratch?

I have a four year and i thinking he;s getting close but I am still fearful of breaking shit.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Hey smitten - I started playing the cornet and trumpet at just five. I was really hard on equipment sometimes, but not others. Really, the damage, for the most part, was done from dropping things. When I was seven or something, my first trumpet was not as pretty as when it was new, but I did the most damage to an instrument - a really nice one from Blechblas und Signal-instrumenten-fabrik - when I was 15 or 16. I was tired beyond description and fell asleep in the back of the orchestra, and let it slip out of my hands.
    If you keep him supervised, I think that your turntables will be alright.

Tech Wizard

I started teaching basic scratching (I use records I don't care much about and old needles) at 2 1/2 when he became fascinated with my turntables. He's 3 now and I haven't moved much beyond that, it's more about getting him used to the equipment and letting him have some fun at this point. Anyway, whenever he's interested and has the attention span to learn would be when I would start. Make sure you have ground rules and you supervisor and everything should be fine. By the way, every time I see your name I think of my old acid techno days, it brings a smile to my face.

Super cute kid, the semi-dancing was greatness. He seems eager to play with the decks! Too cool!
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

I let my 7 & 3 year old play with my production stuff like the launchpad with ableton. They are a riot with the stuff, but always under supervision.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e

If he isnt a future dj he's DEFINITELY a future raver!! Love seeing how interested he is already in record manipulation. And when he was using the filter knob you saw that there was already an understanding in what sounded good. Keep him at it buddy.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I'm assuming your kids are exposed to your jam sessions. Whenever they express an interest...

I got back into the hobby when my kid was 15 and he expressed an interest at about 17. He's all right at mixing and scratching.
    Used Record Shopper

The lad is music obsessed. We got him an ipod shuffle for Christmas and he jams around with Stevie Wonder mostly. He's also partial to some jazzier drum and bass and is a fan of good solid house music too. He'll end up doing something musical whether its Djing, singing or playing an instrument as he's also obsessed with drums (but we arent having those in the house quite yet!).

This was from April 2011.

Cool kid smittten

My 15 year old isn't interested even though I've told him I can make him a millionaire who dates* models
    My 3 year old kinda destroys everything he touches so it will be a while yet..

* Forum etiquette
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast