A disconnect I'm noticing in the culture - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Hmm

i hope that's your attempt at being funny...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Not at all RIP

oooookay...

what are you doing? what point are you trying to make?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Mentor

keithace, you probably really are old.

Anyways, I can't understand a person who is categorising people by the gear, this thing seriously pisses me off. This board should be a damn jumping board for new DJ-s, for new Richie Hawtins since they have a lil bit geekiness and skill with the software and toys in them that gives them a bonus, that something over a regular guy in the club who is just beatmaching one song into another on his 3000£ Pioneer set who I think you are. You must realise that the cheap newbie gear has been available for a very long time. Do yo wanna hate for ex. Carl Cox for probably beatmaching his first records on belt-drives and a 2 channel mixer?
    Carl Cox could probably rock your socks of with those stupid belt-drives.
    The same goes for your "(S2/S4/mixtrack)". You can do amazing things with these thing,
    we live in the modern days and we are not tied to what our hardware can do, its about what you and your software can create. Broaden your view mate.

That's kind of the way forums are.

With very few exceptions, they're populated by gear fetishists and people who like the community. Occasionally, you'll get a big/established player who's on them as part of their marketing strategy…but that's far more likely to happen on their personal websites' forums instead of a general one.

There are guys here spinning parties.
    There are guys here who are residents.
    Guys who are actually big? A lot rarer. Maybe, but I'd doubt it.

The thing is that the "big" guys are either incredibly technically forward thinking and will figure things out themselves……and have better places to go for advice than a forum. If Ritchie Hawtin has a problem with Traktor, will he come here? Or will he tell his tech to call someone they know by name at NI for personal advice?

There's a lot to be said for top-end CDJs and mixers. They're the standard for a reason. I wouldn't play on anything else if I were actually playing out regularly……controllers and laptops wouldn't enter my mind…they're too simple. But they're also insanely expensive. For the money I would have spent on 3 CDJ-2000s and an Empath, I could re-buy my entire DJ setup (including the computer), plus my production rig and I think my guitar. It doesn't make any sense for me to own it. ……and I was really close to buying it anyway before the DDJ-SX came out. Part of me kind of wishes I did. The rest of me enjoys all my other toys.

The disconnect you're talking about seems to be between pros and hobbyists. And pros don't frequent forums the same way.

Are you guys actually finding this disrespect in the wild or just online?

Tech Mentor

Then there's the thing with gear. Almost all the gear these days is pretty much plug and play.
    Plug in RCA here, some power from here and everything is working.
    I could see the geeks clashing with regular guys here. The geeks first sort out their own things, they have been into gadgets long before DJing and see no problem with DJ gear. Now there comes a usual guy who has bought (I hope he really has) Xone 92, 2x X1, Audio 10 aka tons of really expensive gear and he can't find out how to plug it in and sort it out.
    These guys can never be innovative enough to become one of the big names and probably will never even sort out how to use their gear properly and will give up. All this modern musical wizardry doesn't fit in their heads, they want their damn CDJ2000 so they don't have to think what the what the machine can do for them, but instead think what they can do with the machine.

I'm not very expirienced in this stuff, and I haven't been DJing for long, but most people on these forums are just gear whores. If you look at any of the "How I Play" videos, many of them have variability. Of course you will see your CDJ's, but you might see a launchpad or an MPD or a maschine, a fader fox or a mini.
    Sure you can talk and talk about how this gear is better than that gear and people care to much and vinyl is better and blah blah blah but doesn't that just take away the focus from music? As we've seen in a lot of those "how I play" videos, setups have such variability that you can make a good set with a nice sound with anything these days. And that's a good thing. Creating boundaries between "oldschoolers" and "newbies" only really takes away from the music.
    TLDR: Drop the gear blech, a setup changes from style to style and person to person.
    Just press play.

I started playing out in 1994. I currently own 1200s an S4, a Z2 and several other pieces of kit. I rate the S4 for what it is. I am much more concerned with views like yours than what the "kids" are saying. Let people say what they need or want to say and choose if your want to participate in the discussion.TBH, you have 27 posts and have already contributed more negativity to this board than some teenage bedroom DJs who have truly been part of this community for years.

"I swear, I dunno what I'm going to do if one more dork that's been transitioning between electrohouse and dubstep tracks for two years tries to argue that the S4 is a great controller..."

Easy mate, turn your computer off...
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast