VCI-100 external power.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI-100 external power.

I assume this is just a glitch in xp/Vista, but if I power my VCI-100 from an external adapter, then check the power usage for the usb hub in the device manager, it still shows 200ma. This is the same usage if I power the VCI from the usb source...

I'm assuming this is just a bug with the OSes.

The power usage in the device manager just shows the device requirement, not how much it draws; it's not a bug. Indeed the external power adapter does power the vci-100 by itself and doesn't draw additional current from the usb port. I use it when connecting my vci to a hub.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

I guess its more misleading than a bug. By showing 'required power' under the USB hub, it does suggest thats whats needed. It should really show 0ma if its powered externally.

That's power level isn't real time. It's written in the fimware of the VCI-100 and cannot be changed. For example, lets say a ipod specifys it requires a max 500ma of current in order to recharge and sync, but once done recharging it needs less than 100ma It will still say it requires a total of 500ma from the usb port for power even if the total current used is less than needed. That way if you connect it to a hub for example that cannot supply the necessary current it won't try to jepardize stability or reliability by allowing that device to run. It will just give you a over current error. Wiring a 3 way analog switch that selects a power source is much easier, cheaper, reliable to design than a switch that would have to tell the vci's firmware it's on external power.
    Realtime power levels would be cool for USB; but in reality just having a serial connection this fast with 5v power, and the ability to connect to 127 devices at once is amazing.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

To be honest, having a number of preset power scenario's programmed into devices would be trivial. We're not talking real time monitoring of actual usage, but simple...

a) Uses USB power
    b) Uses external power
    c) Something else!

Oh, here's a last puzzle.

I have two external USB disks, both powered by mains adapters.

However, under the USB device manager, one shows a power required as 2ma, and the other as 100ma. Given that both are mains powered, whats the score ?

The joys of USB!

Ok,

Last night I was gigging and had the VCI plugged into a power adapter to try and cure my system instability.

Strange thing is, despite lots of testing at home, within minutes of being in the venue, the VCI locked up, and wouldn't send any midi (or if it did, traktor ignored it). However, traktor did not lock up as has happened previously, and I could continue using it with the mouse and keyboard.

So, it seems that externally powering the VCI wasn't helping.

As it happens, my soundcard can also take the same adapter, so I reset the VCI, and plugged the soundcard into the adapter, and ran the VCI from USB power.

The whole night went perfectly, not a single lock up.

I've tried three different cables, all of which had the same effect.

I don't know, maybe rf noise your usb cables picked up. Do your USB cables contain ferrite inductors (chokes) on them? Also do you use a usb hub?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast