Upgrading Soundcard Help

Default Upgrading Soundcard Help

Yea so i've been DJing for awhile with my Numark DJ|IO. The Numark DJ|IO has done me well. It has performed alongside my Toshiba Satellite, VCI-100 FW 1.3, and Traktor Pro very well. It was about a year and half when I was watching Ean's youtube video on cheap DJ sound cards. This video provided me with great beginner information which made me ultimately choose the Numark DJ|IO.

After a year or so of DJing in my room and house parties, I think it is time for me to upgrade. Recently, (Summer Vacation) i've gotten many requests to DJ parties, and I feel the need to improve my sound quality.

I was thinking of getting the Audio 8 DJ, but just recently the Audio 2 DJ came out. What should I buy?

Here is how I DJ:
    My VCI-100 FW 1.3 is hooked up to my Toshiba Satellite.
    My Numark DJ|IO is hooked up to my Toshiba Satellite.
    On the Numark DJ|IO I have two (Left & Right) 10' RCA to XLR cords which are hooked up to my left and right 12" Gemini Speakers.
    My Gemini Speakers are then each hooked up to the left and right input of a Samson 15" powered subwoofer via a 10' XLR to XLR cable.

Yea so I have no external mixer, all my mixing is internal.
    What do you recommend is the best sound card for me?

Im interested in the Audio 8 DJ because it has a MIC input(which i need) like my NUMARK DJ|IO. But not only is it expensive, I don't think i'll need that many ins and outs.
    The Audio 2 DJ might serve to be the best choice for me because I mix internally on Traktor PRO, but the thing is, it lacks the MIC input and also has a 1/4" -Y- cable which i'll have to get male to female adapters for so I can plug my 10" RCA to XLR cables into.
    The Audio 4 DJ also has no MIC input, but seems to be a good sound card because in the future i might need more ins and outs.

Please help me make a decision, like how Ean's youtube video did
    |Traktor Pro 1.2|TSI 2.2|VCI-100 FW 1.3|Akai LPD8|Numark DJIO|Toshiba Satellite A215|

I would say go for the Audio8dj if your looking to ever connect turntable(s) to use with timecode or just need a preamp. Otherwise, there are a couplethings i don't like about the audio8:
    The outputs are all unbalanced RCA, and no 48v phantom power.
    The audio2 is spiffy as a mini soundcard, but i really don't like using too many adapters. For the sake of balanced connections and phantom power, check out the Presonus Firebox, or maybe kontrol 1
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

Reading your initial post, you asked about upgrading your sound card to get better sound quality. The best way to do this is not via your sound card. Change your speakers. Gemini's are really at the budget end of the range, save some cash and get them traded in for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by chex View Post
    I would say go for the Audio8dj if your looking to ever connect turntable(s) to use with timecode or just need a preamp. Otherwise, there are a couplethings i don't like about the audio8:
    The outputs are all unbalanced RCA, and no 48v phantom power.
    The audio2 is spiffy as a mini soundcard, but i really don't like using too many adapters. For the sake of balanced connections and phantom power, check out the Presonus Firebox, or maybe kontrol 1
    48v phantom power is a nice to have, but not essential. There are many mics that can run without it.

Balanced outputs are nice, but again, for short cable runs, you aren't going to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by djmoonie View Post
    Reading your initial post, you asked about upgrading your sound card to get better sound quality. The best way to do this is not via your sound card. Change your speakers. Gemini's are really at the budget end of the range, save some cash and get them traded in for something else.
    On occassion I use my uncle's equipment. I run my RCA's to his external mixer which is hooked up to JBL speakers, so I don't really need new speakers. I'm just trying to improve sound quality via soundcard. Ty For Replying
    |Traktor Pro 1.2|TSI 2.2|VCI-100 FW 1.3|Akai LPD8|Numark DJIO|Toshiba Satellite A215|

Here are some sound card suggestions:

PreSonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB

E-MU 0404 USB 2.0 Recording Interface

CME Matrix K FireWire Audio Matrix Interface

These should work with what you are looking for in your setup. Also, the prices for these units is around the price of the Indigo DJ or higher.

I personally use the EMU 1616 with Traktor 3.4 and HomeStudio 2004XL.

Hope this helps you with your search.
    DJ M.O.D

Averatec 3270-EH1 | Native Instruments Traktor Studio 3.4.1 | Vestax VCI-100 w/ FW 1.3 | M-Audio Triggerfinger | EMU 1616

Got a audiofire 4 in for review at the moment i am pretty happy with, enough to recommend it - its got a couple small quirks but more info on that in the review