NI Traktor Audio 2

Default NI Traktor Audio 2

I am looking at buying one of these to work alongside my Hercules Rmx controller seen as for around £80 you get Traktor Pro 2 included so it seems silly not to take advantage of this offer for an extra £16 or so.

I am very new to digital DJing so excuse my lack of knowledge but how exactly would this work as the Rmx has a built in audio interface too?

I am also probably going to be getting a set of M-Audio AV-40 monitors to go with this so if anyone could run through how this would all fit together it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily

Tech Mentor

I don't know about the Rmx sound quality, but I'm guessing the Audio 2 will not disappoint you. It's about the best you can get, and with the included Traktor software this indeed is a no-brainer.

You simply connect the Rmx and A2 to your computer, and select the A2 interface in the Traktor audio settings. Simple as that.

I don't know much about PA though, can't help you with the monitors.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Tbh the Rmx sound quality is fine at least certainly for home use but I figure for the extra few quid it is worth getting the Audio 2 seen as I need to get a full version of Traktor Pro anyway, only using the trial atm.

So you would have your controller connected via USB, the Audio 2 via USB and then the monitors plugged into the Audio 2 outputs?
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily

Tech Mentor

Correct. If the monitors are active, they can be plugged straight into the Audio 2 (you'll need some converters though, the monitors probably have XLR jacks. There's some stuff about balanced/unbalanced that appears to matter for sound quality, but again I don't know enough about all that) If they're passive, you'll need an amp between the Audio 2 and the monitors.
    But they're probably active.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

The monitors would be active yes and they have RCA and TRS outputs so these could go via TRS straight into the Audio 2 without the need for any converters.

As far as I am aware the RCA channels are unbalanced on these monitors but the TRS jacks are balanced?!?! not sure exactly what this means though...
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily

However looking at the example set-ups on the NI website it leads me to believe that 1 of the TRS ports on the Audio 2 is for headphone out and the other for monitor out which is a bit of a problem as there would be 2 TRS leads coming from the back of the AV-40's and obviously one TRS lead from my headphones...

Any ideas on this one? Again apologies for my lack of knowledge!
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily

Tech Mentor

Monitor ins are mono, A2 outs are stereo so just get a TRS mono splitter, theyre dirt cheap.

Cheers for the help StephanV. So with the splitter cable would this reduce sound quality or lower volume levels? Or does this not matter with the speakers being active?
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily

Tech Mentor

Not at all! The trs jack has 2 channels, all the splitter does is separate them physically. If the A2 had 4 rca jacks out instead of 2 trs (as in the audio 4/6/8/10), it would have done the same internally.

Awesome, this is looking like my probable set-up then. Thanks for your help StephanV much appreciated
    SoundCloud
    #PLUR #TranceFamily