I mixed my favorite music...now what?

Default I mixed my favorite music...now what?

I did my first mix today of some music that I enjoy. None of it is produced by me. My question is can I upload it to some site without getting nabbed for copyright infringement? I'm quite confused how this works. I have seen places that just credit the dj's/producers in the "about" section of the mix, is that all I need to do?

mixcloud.com is your friend!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    mixcloud.com is your friend!
    +1
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

you can also use soundcloud but some songs set off copyright sensors and your mix will be pulled (or denied upload) but that's about it. of the numerous sets i've put up on that site, i've only had an issue with one song...and it was from the 2001 space odyssey soundtrack of all things. it just depends on the type of music you spin.

soundcloud also allows for people to download your mixes, where mixcloud doesn't (at least not directly without using some other nefarious means).

as far as crediting artists; i think that you should always put up a tracklisting in your sets if you can. it helps the artists and it helps the people listening find more music and support the artists you like.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

If soundcloud denies your mix it means you didn't mix it well enough. but seriously I think if you claim it as a DJ set/mix used to promote your skills you shouldn't have a problem. Put the track list in the description.
    Not saying SC won't still pull it, but morally I wouldn't feel bad about it
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    If soundcloud denies your mix it means you didn't mix it well enough. but seriously I think if you claim it as a DJ set/mix used to promote your skills you shouldn't have a problem. Put the track list in the description.
    Not saying SC won't still pull it, but morally I wouldn't feel bad about it
    I know you're sort of joking, but I think we should clarify since the OP seems new. Your mixing skills have _nothing_ to do with whether or not soundcloud pulls it; it all depends on whether their software algorithm can figure out that you put up copyrighted material. It's also irrelevant whether it's a DJ mix, mashup, remix, etc.; if SC detects copyrighted material in your upload, you either get permission from the artist, try to mix around their detection (different songs, different timing, EQing, etc.), or upload it to another site like mixcloud. Soundcloud, as I understand it, is meant for original material only, not DJ mixes. That's part of why Mixcloud won't let you download and why Soundcloud has this detection - if you could download mixes, it would be really easy to upload a song as a "mix" and have people DL it - which would put soundcloud/mixcloud in a similar position to Megaupload, Mediafire, etc. in terms of DMCA (piracy) violations. Writing "it's a DJ mix" in your description will do nothing but make you artificially feel better about it.

Mixcloud is arguably better than Soundcloud for mixes anyway. The potential drawbacks are:
    - You do have to make a tracklist when you upload
    - You can't download the mix

If those really bother you, you can just fill in random track names and throw up a download link in the mix description. Or you can keep doing your mix over and over until it works well on soundcloud; I'd advise against that though because it can be a pain to get it to work and it's easier to just upload to Mixcloud. If you really want it specifically on Soundcloud then the best route is to take whatever song is causing the issue out of your mix and reupload it.

Soundcloud the free account has a limit of 2 hours (yes I know how to make as many accounts you wish...) Mixcloud, unlimited.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik