Finding and getting music
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Finding and getting music

for all you Dj's, where do you find new music to play for sets and mixed. also, how can you tell a song will be good to mix with. im new to mixing and can never tell what would go well together and im kind of lost.

Tech Mentor

I find and download new stuff from DJcity (record pool). As far as knowing what is good to mix, just experimenting. Also if you use a program for mixing in key, that can help determine what works well together.

You can find music anywhere on the web: beatport, itunes, bandcamp, soundcloud, etc.

As far as knowing what works you need to practice, practice, practice and use your ears. Watch some YouTube tutorials or check out sites like dubspot. Also spend a lot of time listening to music and other djs sets that sound good to you and try to understand what they are doing.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Convert

how can you tell what key something is in on traktor?

Tech Mentor

as said you need a program like Mixed in Key, Rapid Evolution, etc etc. Some are pay some are free. i know RE had a free beta i used for awhile that was decent. didnt write it into camelot like MIK does.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/11/0...are-smackdown/

read into this.

everything else is just practice. throw a track on, play it and while listening cue another track and listen and see how they mix. BPM matching helps when new as well. mixing in deck B intro while deck A is on a braekdown is a easy way to start learning to mix as well.

I say start building a collection of tunes you like, learning to dig is kind of the fun of djing, the constant discovery. Sometimes I will find a producer from internet radio and start checking out stuff they made and if the site has similar artists or other people bought dig thru those too, with in an hour my ADD has taken it to a whole new level of lost on a tangent and I'm finding stuff I never would have by not keep listening to tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff112 View Post
    for all you Dj's, where do you find new music to play for sets and mixed. also, how can you tell a song will be good to mix with. im new to mixing and can never tell what would go well together and im kind of lost.
    who's your favorite DJ? What sites do get your tunes from?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by dfinch805 View Post
    I find and download new stuff from DJcity (record pool). As far as knowing what is good to mix, just experimenting. Also if you use a program for mixing in key, that can help determine what works well together.
    Please stop telling people that. It's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHawk View Post
    as said you need a program like Mixed in Key, Rapid Evolution, etc etc. Some are pay some are free. i know RE had a free beta i used for awhile that was decent. didnt write it into camelot like MIK does.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/11/0...are-smackdown/

read into this.

everything else is just practice. throw a track on, play it and while listening cue another track and listen and see how they mix. BPM matching helps when new as well. mixing in deck B intro while deck A is on a braekdown is a easy way to start learning to mix as well.
    He should be all about finding music he likes first, not what key the track is in.

Also most songs on beatport.com already have the key tags written in so you dont need to run RE3 on them.

But If I were you I would learn to mix by following you're ears instead of looking at the key. This is because sometimes the key changes in some genres of tracks like electro-house but it depends on the genre really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast