4Trak Audio Distortion
    Tech Convert

Default 4Trak Audio Distortion

The other night my 4trak started to have a bitcrusher sound coming out of the main output. I had this issue before with a cheap controller which forced me to purchase a new one. Unfortunately, I dont have the money to go that route at this time. If I buy an EIE Pro or some other type of audio interface would I be able to use my 4Trak and route the audio through the interface while still being able to control the sound with the 4trak's faders? Does anyone think this would fix the distortion?

I just need an option that allows me to keep djing until I have money to afford some CDJs (I'm tired of running into issues with controllers).

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by tims4789 View Post
    The other night my 4trak started to have a bitcrusher sound coming out of the main output. I had this issue before with a cheap controller which forced me to purchase a new one. Unfortunately, I dont have the money to go that route at this time. If I buy an EIE Pro or some other type of audio interface would I be able to use my 4Trak and route the audio through the interface while still being able to control the sound with the 4trak's faders? Does anyone think this would fix the distortion?

I just need an option that allows me to keep djing until I have money to afford some CDJs (I'm tired of running into issues with controllers).
    • If you had the same issue with another controller I'd go looking for an issue with the computer not the controller.
    • If it is actually a controller issue The 4Trak is still under warranty - why would buy another interface, thats just ignoring the problem :-S

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    • If you had the same issue with another controller I'd go looking for an issue with the computer not the controller.
    • If it is actually a controller issue The 4Trak is still under warranty - why would buy another interface, thats just ignoring the problem :-S
    exactly what this guy said.

I doubt its the controller.

Tech Convert

I used a different controller between the one that had issues and the 4trak with no problems. The 4trak also gave me no problems before now and I've been using it for about 6 months. I have to dj multiple times a week so I can't afford to be without a controller for any period of time. I am using a relatively new Macbook pro with 4gb ram and 750gb hybrid ssd/hdd. I honestly don't think its my computer. I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action.

EDIT:
    I am going to try to adjust the sample rate and play with the settings when I get off work. I'll reply back with the results.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by tims4789 View Post
    EDIT:
    I am going to try to adjust the sample rate and play with the settings when I get off work. I'll reply back with the results.
    Give it a shot alright

Just something that dawned on me having owned a Numark I/O soundcard before, there was a driver bug with Mountain Lion where it would only work correctly if the soundcard was plugged in before the unit was powered on -- plugging in the soundcard afterwards resulted in a "Bitcrusher" distortion on the outputs.

It would be worth checking to see if a reboot with the 4Trak plugged in first fixes the problem. I Wonder if an OSX update broke something or replaced some driver essentials which might need replacing.

I still would not be comfortable playing out with a non-100% working controller regardless though - if one thing has broken what might break next halfway through a gig

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Give it a shot alright

Just something that dawned on me having owned a Numark I/O soundcard before, there was a driver bug with Mountain Lion where it would only work correctly if the soundcard was plugged in before the unit was powered on -- plugging in the soundcard afterwards resulted in a "Bitcrusher" distortion on the outputs.

It would be worth checking to see if a reboot with the 4Trak plugged in first fixes the problem. I Wonder if an OSX update broke something or replaced some driver essentials which might need replacing.

I still would not be comfortable playing out with a non-100% working controller regardless though - if one thing has broken what might break next halfway through a gig
    I'll be sure to try that (I usually do but who knows I may not have that night). I went home last night after work and messed with it but I was unable to replicate the problem. The sample rate isn't adjustable so I doubt its that. Mountain Lion has always been buggy with the 4Trak even with the "new" drivers. Do you think that adjusting the latency thing (cant remember what its called off the top of my head, default is 512 I think) to a higher value would help?

I guess we will see how everything goes this week. Hopefully it was just a fluke and wont happen again. I'm probably going to run it through the other mixer at the bar so I can play an iPod or something while I reboot if I encounter any problems. The crowd gets really testy when the music stops. They get equally excited when you pump them up and start the music again though so I guess its not the end of the world if something goes wrong. Haha

Thank you for your help.