Question about Xone 92 filters.
    jonham

Default Question about Xone 92 filters.

I've noticed that when I activate the bpf and lpf filters (not hpf), the volume drops instantly. I don't know if this is normal, due to some other setting I may have, or something else altogether. Any help would be much appreciated!

Tech Mentor

Maybe the frequency you have the filter set at when you engage the filter? Afterall, they are all affecting different frequencies.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    Maybe the frequency you have the filter set at when you engage the filter? Afterall, they are all affecting different frequencies.
    ^ this, if you have the manual for the mixer i'd take an afternoon and read through it, i think you'll learn a great deal or if your lazy im sure there are 100 toutorials on youtube you can watch if reading aint your thang (not meant to be mean, i read all manuals before using equipment DJ or otherwise)

jonham

I figured it was a frequency thing. Just printed out the manual here at work, so I'll give it a looky looky. A friend of mine with the 92 said it was normal. I'll figure it out. Couldn't find a tutorial on youtube, btw; only demos. Weird.

Tech Mentor

Since I'm sitting at my DB4, and the filters will be pretty similar, I'll have a test.

LPF, you need to engage at 20 kHz, otherwise your already deep into the filter.
    BPF, there is no-where really you can engage the filter subtly.
    HPF, you need the to engage at 20 Hz.

Dunno if you can apply multiple filter on the 92 though?
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

jonham

Another thing I noticed on the 92. I use channels 2 and 3. Say I'm using channel 2. I click the filter switch either to 1 or 2. When I select the left hand side option, which is 1, I get the filter effect. When I switch the metal switch to the right nothing happens. Same thing for channel 3, but in the opposite way. Am I making sense?
    Last edited by jonham; 01-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Tech Mentor

You can. You just press both buttons at the same time to have more than 1 filter active at the same time.
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by xs2man View Post
    LPF, you need to engage at 20 kHz, otherwise your already deep into the filter.
    BPF, there is no-where really you can engage the filter subtly.
    HPF, you need the to engage at 20 Hz.

^^This.

Another thing you'll have to look out for is your resonance settings. Resonance boosts the frequency the filter is set at, so that e.g. if the filter is set at 20 Hz, this frequency will be boosted, which can lead to a noticable change in sound when the filter is enganged.

Just how much the frequency gets boosted depends on the resonance setting. From my experience with a Xone 42 (which shouldn't be different to a 92 regarding the filter characteristics), you need to set the resonance knob at 12 o'clock (exactly the middle between mild and wild) to be able to engage the filter unnoticable.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post

Just how much the frequency gets boosted depends on the resonance setting. From my experience with a Xone 42 (which shouldn't be different to a 92 regarding the filter characteristics), you need to set the resonance knob at 12 o'clock (exactly the middle between mild and wild) to be able to engage the filter unnoticable.

I have a Xone 42 and noticed that you need to set the resonance knob at 1 or 2 o'clock (a bit over the middle between mild and wild) to be able to engage the filter unnoticabl
    If you set it at 12 o'clock and engage the filter the master volume drops a little!

Tech Student

You need to set the resonance knob at 1 or 2 o'clock (slightly over the middle between mild and wild) to be able to engage the filter unnoticabl! This is the same for all Xone mixers!