Suggestions - unreliable controller behaviour at LOUD gigs

Default Suggestions - unreliable controller behaviour at LOUD gigs

Hi All,

I have recently been using a Xone 1D. It seemed to function fine at home but I had a great opportunity to play at a large festival last month (Glade festival in the UK) on a really nice sound system (Opus Audio Technologies - lovely stuff!). I noticed the push buttons on the bottom row seemed unreliable (sometimes I pressed them and nothing happened). I thought it may have been a faulty controller so experimented again at home, I have never been able to replicate the problem. Last week I played another gig, on a (probably too large for the venue) Void system. The same unreliability developed. Any ideas?

There is something about the gig situation leading to the problem. I presume it is due to the loud sound levels (rather the vibration due to the bass). Could this thus be a mechanical issue or are there other electrical interference / magnetic explanations?

Anyone else had similar problems? I am assuming it is to do with the Xone controller but could of course be an issue along the cable or even with the computer (Macbook) in extreme settings?

Cheers,
    Adam

A common problem, discussed here in many threads with regard to the VCI100 jog wheels activating erratically in bass-heavy gigs.

Solution is to place the controller on a foam pad to damp the vibrations.

See also: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11757

Thank you for the pointer. I could easily imagine it a problem with platters/wheels (even the knobs on my mixer were being moved by the bass at the most recent gig) but can't easily see how the same thing can affect buttons (rather it affects them by making them not press, as opposed to pressing them randomly). Strangely the jog wheels on my controller were not affected. Can it be that bass vibration is a more general problem with midi controllers, interfering with their inner workings as opposed to just mechanically moving a platter?

I am surprised in such supposedly 'professional' and expensive equipment as the Allen&Heath and Vestax VCI, the manufacturers have not tackled this problem. I have never had issues with the Pionner CDJ. Surely this is the standard suposedly 'professional' midi controllers should be aspiring too?

Quote Originally Posted by skenderbeg View Post
    I am surprised in such supposedly 'professional' and expensive equipment as the Allen&Heath and Vestax VCI, the manufacturers have not tackled this problem. I have never had issues with the Pionner CDJ. Surely this is the standard suposedly 'professional' midi controllers should be aspiring too?
    I'd say this has a lot to do with the physical weight of the pro devices. They have mains power transformers and metal casings. Add to that the design of switches is a real art (microswitch vs. tactile vs. dome vs. silicone contacts vs. etc..) there'are plenty of reasons why only some hardware might exhibit the effects under heavy vibration.

At the very least, it's a test that we should put hardware controllers through as part of our DJTT reviews!

Tech Mentor

Definitely. It's interesting because CDJ-1000s are super light haha.

Not had any problems yet in my usual weekly club gig, although while the soundsystem there is good its not mind blowing.

kev

PS skenderbeg, speakerplans member?