Venues around LA

Default Venues around LA

I just bought a pair of 1200s (I'm used to using them from before the days DVS existed). I haven't done this for a really long time but just planning on getting back into it, and starting with some smallish venues/clubs around downtown LA.. Most places I see some sort of serato system installed.. two 1200s and a TT57-SL or some other mixer and the serato boxes.

I'm NOT wanting to get into a features debate over which system is better etc, I'm just wondering what I can count on being able to do. Say I get a Z2, is that something I can bring with me to any venue and connect with their house decks, etc? Or will some venues insist that I bring my own laptop with SSL on it? Since I'm just getting this going, I'd rather figure out what I need to do on SSL if I'm going to be in a situation where that's what I'm forced to use. On the other hand, if it really doesn't matter and one can bring in whatever is necessary, then I'll probably want to go the Traktor route..

So.. this is primarily a question of club "standards" for the LA area.. anybody have any personal experience with this, or insight?

Thanks

club standard can very. Most clubs have CDJs & DJM series mixer with a Serato box ready and +1200s tucked away somewhere. Other places might just have 1200s or cdjs and require you to bring mixer + serato box.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I just bring my Traktor audio 6 and laptop everywhere, that way I can play on whatever the venue has. If they have 2000s, i'll just bring s USB stick and headphones.
    Last edited by DJ SB; 01-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    club standard can very. Most clubs have CDJs & DJM series mixer with a Serato box ready and +1200s tucked away somewhere. Other places might just have 1200s or cdjs and require you to bring mixer + serato box.
    Cool so it really doesn't matter..? I can just use whatever I prefer.. Very unlikely to find myself in a situation where they say "You can't bring in your own mixer!!" ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    I just bring my Traktor audio 6 and laptop everywhere, that way I can play on whatever the venue has. If they have 2000s, i'll just bring s USB stick and headphones.
    This is what we do at Avalon Hollywood - where I play regularly.

We used to bring our Audio 8 DJ with us to all of the venues, but we're really liking the simplicity of Rekordbox and just showing up to gigs with a USB stick. My gig bag only has two USB sticks, a bunch of business cards, a CD wallet in case something happens (and it does at times especially the NEW CDJ2000 Nexus decks), and my headphones.

I still bring our Audio 8, but it doesn't even get taken out of the bag any more. Better yet.....we're spinning at The Avalon this Saturday....

Why don't you come out and I can have you check out the gear up close and in person! I'm always down to help out a fellow DJTT guy and support local talent!

But standard at Avalon is:

2 x CDJ2000 Nexus
    1 x DJM800 or DJM900
    Serato Scratch Live

I know some guys use turntables but I honestly haven't seem them even pull it out for quite a long time. I give props to the vinyl guys, but it just isn't as popular here in LA anymore.

But if you want to come out, message me:

illegalPARTY@TheLoft-01.05.13.jpg

Dude that is way cool of you to invite me down like that. Wish I had checked the forum before now! But thanks anyway. Ill shoot you an email nonetheless.
    That's what I remember from the DJ scene of years ago: good people.

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post

We used to bring our Audio 8 DJ with us to all of the venues, but we're really liking the simplicity of Rekordbox and just showing up to gigs with a USB stick. My gig bag only has two USB sticks, a bunch of business cards, a CD wallet in case something happens (and it does at times especially the NEW CDJ2000 Nexus decks), and my headphones.

I still bring our Audio 8, but it doesn't even get taken out of the bag any more. Better yet.....we're spinning at The Avalon this Saturday....

Why don't you come out and I can have you check out the gear up close and in person! I'm always down to help out a fellow DJTT guy and support local talent!

2 x CDJ2000 Nexus
    1 x DJM800 or DJM900
    Serato Scratch Live

I know some guys use turntables but I honestly haven't seem them even pull it out for quite a long time. I give props to the vinyl guys, but it just isn't as popular here in LA anymore.

illegalPARTY@TheLoft-01.05.13.jpg

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post

2 x CDJ2000 Nexus
    1 x DJM800 or DJM900
    Serato Scratch Live

I was in Hollywood last year and went to see Crookers at Avalon. Were you about?