Ideal modular setup
    Tech Wizard

Default Ideal modular setup

I'm looking for some help on a good modular set up or if I should just go with an all in one controller. I really like the midi fighter pro what else would I need to have a simple complete set up? I also have ableton wich I love but I'm wondering if I should go with tracktor pro plus a midi fighter and whatever else I need to have a complete set up. Thank you

honestly you could go many, many, many different ways on this and it's all pretty much subjective. this is one of those situations where you should really think about what you want, do the leg work, research what's in your budget, narrow down your choices and then come back for some further analysis on what you have pinned down if you haven't already decided by then.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

or if you really don't know where to start, at least give a description of what you already have (besides ableton) and tell us what your budget is.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

I'm not looking to spend too much probly 4 or 500. I'm a mobile DJ and producer. I'm really in to sampling and mashups. I currently have a MacBook Pro and a cheap mixer, I've been using virtual DJ home. But I'm ready to step it up with pro software and equipment. I really liked the novation twitch controller because you can use it with ableton as well, but then I saw the midi fighter. I'm just looking for a simple DJ set up that I can do simple live mixes but then can also use the same equipment to use in ableton to produce mashups and remixes

cool, well i guess the next thing to decide is what software you want to dj with. have you already tried giving it a go in ableton? that is a playground for sampling, mashups and stems but it has it's drawbacks for djing imo. i used it for a while but never really liked it to dj live and on the fly. mostly the interface bothered me since you cannot view 2 wav forms at once and it just seems kind of cumbersome in that regard along with the way the info is displayed. i also found that tracks were almost never auto warped properly and i don't like the idea of HAVING to warp everything in order to play it. Traktor does a much better job of that for me and i really like the interface.

with that said, a lot of people use ableton to dj and they do it very well. some people even prefer it since they already use it to produce.

you may also want to try traktor to see if you like the layout. they offer a free trial version so you should give it a spin. it probably comes closest to what you want out of the other dj software since it has the remix decks. once you decide which one to go with, then i would say decide on equipment. pretty much any midi gear you get will be usable in any audio software if you take the time to map it or you can find a template another person has created, but some are made with a specific software in mind.
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

Thank you yes I tried tracktor and love short demo tho. And your right about DJ with live, I think I'll keep DJ and production seperate. For the remix decks don't I need a special controller?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ7Star View Post
    Thank you yes I tried tracktor and love short demo tho. And your right about DJ with live, I think I'll keep DJ and production seperate. For the remix decks don't I need a special controller?
    MF3D and Kontrol F1 are the only controllers with full remix deck support, with the others you can just use 4 samples.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/