Buying new Laptop looking for opinions
    Tech Convert

Default Buying new Laptop looking for opinions

Hi, everyone!

I've started Djing half-into last Year (directly into a club without "home Djing" practice) and totally love it, bought an Audio Interface (Komplete Audio 6, since I'm planning to study and do some production also), and afterwards bought a Traktor Kontrol F1 (yes I know I should have bought a more "standard" Controller but I got used to it and like it very much).

My First gig was using Virtual DJ, but since my second gig switched to Traktor Pro.
    I've been using a Macbook Air (early 2010, Core 2 Duo, 2 Gigs RAM, 180 SSD, geforce 9400M) for Djing, and everything, it's my main and only Computer.

Now I'm planning on buying a new one since it's old and it hangs a bit if I try to use FXs, Samples, and do more than basic "play, stop, load Track" on Traktor Pro.
    As the new Computer/Laptop will replace my old MBA I'm looking for something powerful enough to do lot's of things (Gaming too).

So I've ended up with this two Laptops:

Macbook Pro (non-Retina).

Razer Blade MK2 (or late 2012 as it can be called).

Both have similar specs, I'm most inclined for the Razer since it has a bit more power and I wouldn't have to make a Windows Installation/Partition for Gaming.

¿Would you say either is good for Djing?, I know the Macbook Pro certainly is but it may not be as good for Gaming, maybe the Razer Blade can do both.

So, ¿What are your Opinions/Suggestions?.

Get a gaming computer and add more ram to your old MBA, it should run Traktor just fine with 4gb of ram.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

Sadly my old MBA is not upgradeable, I've asked. : S

Tech Mentor

MBP.

You'll have the option of using OS X exclusively for anything music-related, while using BootCamp to make the Windows partition (uncertain as to your concerns: second partition is no biggie).

Would be interested to know what games you're expecting to play. Pretty sure some of the AAA titles are available for Mac as well as Windows, and Steam is always an option. Also, the 650M seems to hold its own for the most part.

Tech Convert

I'm really mixed up on this (even though I'm still gathering the Money to make the purchase).

Since I'm having some trouble with CPU spikes on my Macbook Air (Mac OS X Snow Leopard), I've decided to make a Bootcamp Partition with Windows 7 32 Bits Ultimate Edition, just to try if it's any better.

And I must Agree with all of you, it wasn't out of the Box, I had to do all the Tuning to get stable performance for Audio.

Buuuuuuuut here is the thing I'm now getting better performance (over all and for Audio)on Windows 7 than Mac OS X (same Machine Macbook Air). And when I boot to OS X it's unusable, just on Desktop Idle I get CPU peaks of 70% o 80%, don't know why, kernel_task eating 150% or more of CPU.

On Windows 7, I'm still having some noises, cuts and CPU spikes when loading Tracks (pendrive+usb hub). I'm starting to think maaaaybe it's the USB Hub, I'm probably buying a new one and trying it out.

So this situation is really making me doubting on de MBP purchase.

Thanks for all the replys.