I get down with Traktor sync ... But do you guys think it degrades sound quality?
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor jshawpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    196

    Default I get down with Traktor sync ... But do you guys think it degrades sound quality?

    I use sync ... but I'm not the hugest fan of it ... Not for any "purist" reasoning regarding beatmatching properly ... But, because I feel like it degrades the quality of my sound. Even at the true bpm of the synced song. I feel like I can hear the sub bass get tighter and the vocals lose a graininess when I deactivate sync.

    Now .. I do use Key Lock .. and KNOW that, that will be the source of most of my degradation. But I stick to rules when I play to offset these limitations ... One of those being to mostly stick within + or - 7 BPM of the original track ... AND ... believe or not ... I never change the key of any of my songs. I just mix harmonically based on the songs in my library's true keys.

    I find myself using sync as kind of a helping hand through my tougher transitions ... but I try to kill it ASAP. And every time I do ... I swear I notice things tighten up a touch.

    Anyone thoughts?
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

    http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

    #RESPECT

  2. #2

    Default

    Look at the Transport section in the settings of Traktor. Under key lock, set both to fast cpu. There is a super noticeable difference between slow and fast when songs are key locked. Maybe that difference is what you are hearing.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor jshawpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    196

    Default

    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm gonna check that out shortly! I hope mine is set on slow ... because I don't recall ever noticing that parameter. If this works ... You're getting a night of drinking on me .. if we're ever in the same city! Thanks for taking the time to reply!

    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSiniSter View Post
    Look at the Transport section in the settings of Traktor. Under key lock, set both to fast cpu. There is a super noticeable difference between slow and fast when songs are key locked. Maybe that difference is what you are hearing.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

    http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

    #RESPECT

  4. #4
    Tech Guru squidot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    803

    Default

    i don't notice any quality difference but i don't use keylock either. when i tried using it on the fast cpu settings i had a problem with glitches and pops in tsp 2.5 so i just turned it off and all was fine. i haven't upgraded to the latest traktor to see if this was fixed, but to be honest i've never really liked keylock for the reason that it does tend to degrade the audio quality.

    did you say +/- 7 bpms? that seems like quite a lot at house tempo...maybe not as bad if you play d&b. that would be pushing you past 6% at slower bpms. you should really be sticking under 3% or maybe even 2% if you want to be really safe. if you turn keylock off, the key makes a full change at 6% and anything less than 2-3% isn't going to throw your mixes out of harmony in my experience.

    http://community.mixedinkey.com/Topics/1767
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor jshawpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I think you're right ... I think my problem is having "key lock" on even at 0% ... I don't recall exactly what convinced me to ultimately leave it on at all times. I don't use it. I think I had a flukey trainwreck and scared myself into using that crutch as opposed to correcting my technique that lead to said trainwreck.

    Thank you for those suggestions, squidot!



    Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i don't notice any quality difference but i don't use keylock either. when i tried using it on the fast cpu settings i had a problem with glitches and pops in tsp 2.5 so i just turned it off and all was fine. i haven't upgraded to the latest traktor to see if this was fixed, but to be honest i've never really liked keylock for the reason that it does tend to degrade the audio quality.

    did you say +/- 7 bpms? that seems like quite a lot at house tempo...maybe not as bad if you play d&b. that would be pushing you past 6% at slower bpms. you should really be sticking under 3% or maybe even 2% if you want to be really safe. if you turn keylock off, the key makes a full change at 6% and anything less than 2-3% isn't going to throw your mixes out of harmony in my experience.

    http://community.mixedinkey.com/Topics/1767
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

    http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

    #RESPECT

  6. #6
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,370

    Default

    turn keylock off and change your tempo range to 6%
    Acer E5 i7 2TB 16GB ~ 512GB SSD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ X1 ~ DN-X1600 ~ X1 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ AT2020 MIC

    "This aggression will not stand, man."

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor jshawpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Jester ... you are the man! Keylock on even at 0% ... is the source of the artifacts I was referring to.

    I plan to formally post my findings ... And clear up any misleading info that I may have stated.

    Thank you for helping out!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    turn keylock off and change your tempo range to 6%
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

    http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

    #RESPECT

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I don't think there is any possible degradation in sound quality when key lock is on and the track's pitch is at +/- 0%. There is no time stretching to be done by the algorithm so why would it?

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor jshawpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    196

    Default

    It could just be my machine (last MBP Apple released before the "I" series) ... I'm good now, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiamC View Post
    I don't think there is any possible degradation in sound quality when key lock is on and the track's pitch is at +/- 0%. There is no time stretching to be done by the algorithm so why would it?
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

    http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

    #RESPECT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •