Techno/minimal looping style of djing a la Richie Hawtin et al
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Techno/minimal looping style of djing a la Richie Hawtin et al

So I've been wanting to get into a much more dynamic/creative way of dj'ing, while creating an atmosphere and what not. Pretty much like Richie Hawtin, Joris Voorn, and other guys do it. Except that I try and try and I just can't manage to play a set which evolves... Whenever I try to use loops and stuff I just end up with something monotonous instead of being able to create that dynamic feeling. Either I just don't know how to create breaks or I just don't know how to time my drops or pretty much anything... I'm not even sure I'm getting at something with this lol.

Thing is... I've tried to find a workflow which would allow me to play such kinds of sets but I just haven't been able to. I've watched the interviews here at DJTT with Loco Dice, Chris Leibing, Bass Kleph and others and they're really helpful regarding insight and ideas, but I just can't make them happen. I know the first thing is to keep it simple, like playing tracks with long mixes and stuff, but I'm trying to push myself from the usual mixing style, but it's just so frustrating really.

So, what I would really appreciate from the guys who play this way, are tips and examples of workflows while playing with loops and how to make build ups and break downs.. pretty much the odds and ends of how a set like this would be played. What to have in mind, what to avoid, etc.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

I do the same thing as richie hawtin 3 decks and maschine (i have based my setup around his) i find that you have to be so concentrated on the mix and what you're doing when mixing 3-4 decks. I also have all my loops and cues saved onto each track so i can jump around to different parts quickly. It's hard to remember what you do when you're djing but i find it easier if i just get really into it. Lots of other people will have different ways they do this.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Mentor

Trying to this aswell with my setup, and i'm pretty happy with how my sets sound, but of course not even close to any of the pro's sets. Here some tips on how i work:
    1: Set at least 5 loops per track (any length from 1 to 32 bars) when loading them into traktor the first time, for example: 1 in the beginning, 2 when the first bass drops in, 3 maybe in the breakdown, 4 with the whole beat incl melody and 5 with just the melody or something like that.
    2: eq the loops to sound nice while cueing
    3: dont always have them playing at max, play with their volume
    4: put effects on the loops like reverb (or i also like the t3 reverb) or normal delays to build tension in the main song.
    5: dont let melodies that dont work together overlay
    6: trust your ears
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Mentor

Volpe's tips are really good.

I'd just like to add a few things.

As you might have noticed the most important thing is preparation.

Decide which tracks you may want to play in full length, and from which ones you will only play short looped sections. In the beginning you may want to try out which loops play togehter well, as it can be hard to build a track from scratch using various loops without preparation.

Regarding break downs and built ups: start slowly. Try using only the EQ first: cut the bass and play with the mids/highs. Then start adding other effects. You can also play with the loop length, shortening the loops in the break down to get a roll effect.

Great tips so far! Thanks to those who have contributed! Up until now I hadn't thought about prepping since I thought it was usually done on the fly (okay, maybe the pro's do it sometimes with a great deal of practice and previous preparation). I will ask you guys to keep 'em coming and to refer me to some videos maybe?
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

If you've ever watched/listened to any of them play maschine isn't really the center of their set- it's more like some spice thrown on top just to accent and tie things together.

It seems like most of them are usually doing 2-3 deck mixing then seems like they will accent it with a channel of the maschine step sequencer to add in some claps or hi hats or the like, but it's usually not complex drum loops all built on maschine and a bunch of micro loops in traktor. They seem to mostly let tracks play and any micro looping of other tracks and stuff on maschine is just to tie things together and honestly a lot of the time it seems it's just to give them something to do up there, not sure how essential it always is to their overall set....

watch how he uses maschine, it's always just adding in 1-2 drum sounds on top of whatever tracks he is mixing in traktor, he is never building whole sets out of it...
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 01-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Great tips here I feel exactly Pancaker, bored because my sets were simple transitions and frustrated because i cant make samples and loops fit in my dj sets. I always learned everything by copying what other djs made in their sets, and then recreate it at home. Recently I bought a kontrol f1 and i can't seem to find many videos of djs using it in their sets, any tips and videos on how to incorporate f1 in my sets?

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoAndrade View Post
    Great tips here I feel exactly Pancaker, bored because my sets were simple transitions and frustrated because i cant make samples and loops fit in my dj sets. I always learned everything by copying what other djs made in their sets, and then recreate it at home. Recently I bought a kontrol f1 and i can't seem to find many videos of djs using it in their sets, any tips and videos on how to incorporate f1 in my sets?
    I just googled and youtubed it. Tons and tons of vids came up :/

I'm sorry, but i've been googling for full sets of deep / tech djs using f1 and i can't seem to find anything good :/

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoAndrade View Post
    I'm sorry, but i've been googling for full sets of deep / tech djs using f1 and i can't seem to find anything good :/
    You can't be so specific? Just learn how to use it and make your own stuff. dont copy others

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast