DJ Website creation Research
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJ Website creation Research

Hi all,

I am researching on the best options out there to create a new website for my DJ persona. I am interested in what tools you use and how do you do it.

I would like to ask the community:

How do you create your DJ website(any simple platform) ?

How important is your DJ website for you and to help you getting gigs ?

How much money and time do you usually spend on it on a monthly basis ?

All the replies would mean a lot to me.

Thank you all in advance
    Last edited by sonuz; 01-04-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Default Anyone ?

I would be very thankful for any answers.

Thank you all.

Hi Sonuz,

These days it is very easy to make your own website. I'am also trying to create one, although more time goes into my mixing and music selection skills. But if you mastered that already it is time to take it to the next level. Try to get some local small gig's. Get in touch with other local dj's, visit local nights of your genre etc. The people that you get in contact with maybe already have a website. And maybe know someone who can build one.

If you still want to do it yourself (great learning curve) then I guess it is the best to take a look at the Content Management System(s). A CMS like Joomla! is one of them.
    You can also take a look at Wordpress, Drupal, Concrete5 etc.

If you do is yourself it will only cost you time. If you hire some one thenn simply ask yourself; how much money do i earn with dj'ing. And make a budget out of that anwser.

Good luck!
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

Default online service to facilitate task of fellow djs?

Quote Originally Posted by Manolo008 View Post
    Hi Sonuz,

These days it is very easy to make your own website. I'am also trying to create one, although more time goes into my mixing and music selection skills. But if you mastered that already it is time to take it to the next level. Try to get some local small gig's. Get in touch with other local dj's, visit local nights of your genre etc. The people that you get in contact with maybe already have a website. And maybe know someone who can build one.

If you still want to do it yourself (great learning curve) then I guess it is the best to take a look at the Content Management System(s). A CMS like Joomla! is one of them.
    You can also take a look at Wordpress, Drupal, Concrete5 etc.

If you do is yourself it will only cost you time. If you hire some one thenn simply ask yourself; how much money do i earn with dj'ing. And make a budget out of that anwser.

Good luck!
    Thank you very much Manolo008.

What do you think if there was a online service/cms that has multiple dj focused themes for a website, with integration with facebook, soundcloud and options to manage fans such as mailing list, would you use it ?

Is there any service like that online that you might now of ?

Thank you a lot for your time and care to answer.
    Last edited by sonuz; 01-05-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Wordpress

Get domain and hosting from host gator, they got one click wordpress instal and use their live chat support which is amazing to help set u up.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Hi Sonuz,

I think that would be a great idea. But it still is very static. For the creative and 'I want to learn' people, a CMS structure is much more dynamic and fun. The CMS I worked with (Joomla!) is based on pre made templates, plugins and apps. If you search, you will find some templates designed for DJ's. But then again, if everybody is using the same template...

I took a look at youre website and I think you already got a solid basis. But I also can see why you would want an update.
    Try to find websites (music / dj related or not) that you think are pretty amazing. Then when you find your way in one of the CMS's, you look for a simular template and of you go!
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

I created a new thread with a few direct questions and if you could reply to that thread would be awesome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Wordpress

Get domain and hosting from host gator, they got one click wordpress instal and use their live chat support which is amazing to help set u up.
    be careful doing this with sites that have one click installs
    you CANT update the code automatically if its a one click
    Youll need to do it manually.
    And keep in mind, sometimes the upgrade isnt as bug free as the upgraded FROM version so youll need to be able to get back DOWN a peg
    Best thing to do here is to have the ability to TEST an upgrade in your server to make sure it works the way you need it to.

Also, there are many providers
    1&1
    Powweb
    iPowerWeb
    and a few others that joomla, wordpress, and other CMS sites constantly have problems running on.

The biggest issue i have seen with sites like that (especially godaddy) is when traffic builds up on the server (which your account shares)
    then your site slows down

Also if you have direct mp3 download links, you are going to slow your site greatly (if you have a lot of mixes in the server)

You should make sure to get afforable space as well.

Something less then 20gig is just not worth it.

Tech Wizard

I bought a domain from hostgator, then went to flavors.me paid 20 bucks for a year membership and pointed the site to my domain. I also created the backround and logos with photoshop, and linked Facebook and soundcloud etc. it also comes with a mobile version. Check out the result here dj7star.com. I think it's good to have a website, but I haven't got any gigs from it yet. Although it is new, and still needs tweaking.

DJ7Star,

Thank you for your reply,

Can you post any charts, post gig dates or add a mailing list to your site via flavors.me ?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast