Timecode related questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Timecode related questions

Looking into buying some cdj800(mkII)s and a djm600 in the new year and want to use Traktor Scratch with them.

What is Traktor like to use with them? I'm not sure everything works like it does with my S2 for example. I realise I won't be able to pick tracks using the mixer/decks but is there anything else?

If I go crazy I might buy a pair of 1200s instead of the cdjs. I'd want to keep the cost down though and looking on ebay probably wouldn't be able to afford better than the mkII....any issues here? Could it end up being costly, specially seeing as I know nothing about turntables?

Which soundcard would I need? I'll only ever be using 2 decks. Is the audio 2 good enough quality to use in a club or is it just the inputs that differ from soundcard to soundcard?

Last but not least, would I be able to keep Traktor Pro 2 on my laptop whilst also installing Traktor Scratch Pro? I only plan on keeping the timecode setup for about 4 months to get comfortable using it before selling. I'll obviously sell TSP then too and revert back to TP2.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Looking into buying some cdj800(mkII)s and a djm600 in the new year and want to use Traktor Scratch with them.

What is Traktor like to use with them? I'm not sure everything works like it does with my S2 for example. I realise I won't be able to pick tracks using the mixer/decks but is there anything else?

If I go crazy I might buy a pair of 1200s instead of the cdjs. I'd want to keep the cost down though and looking on ebay probably wouldn't be able to afford better than the mkII....any issues here? Could it end up being costly, specially seeing as I know nothing about turntables?

Which soundcard would I need? I'll only ever be using 2 decks. Is the audio 2 good enough quality to use in a club or is it just the inputs that differ from soundcard to soundcard?

Last but not least, would I be able to keep Traktor Pro 2 on my laptop whilst also installing Traktor Scratch Pro? I only plan on keeping the timecode setup for about 4 months to get comfortable using it before selling. I'll obviously sell TSP then too and revert back to TP2.
    i cant speak for how the 800s work with traktor but you should be fine 1200's if you prefer a turntable. they hold up pretty well and parts seem to be plentiful if they needed any work.

if you only need to use 2 decks the audio 2 should be fine as well. i have an audio 8 and it's great. EDIT - i don't know what i was thinking when i wrote this, but as nicky h says below, you cannot use timecode with the audio 2. my sincerest apologies.

there is no difference between traktor pro 2 and traktor scratch pro 2 other than the abilty to use timecode. i imagine you could keep both versions on your laptop but why would you go through all the trouble to get a timecode setup to sell it after 4 months? just curious...
    Last edited by squidot; 12-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    i cant speak for how the 800s work with traktor but you should be fine 1200's if you prefer a turntable. they hold up pretty well and parts seem to be plentiful if they needed any work.

if you only need to use 2 decks the audio 2 should be fine as well. i have an audio 8 and it's great.

there is no difference between traktor pro 2 and traktor scratch pro 2 other than the abilty to use timecode. i imagine you could keep both versions on your laptop but why would you go through all the trouble to get a timecode setup to sell it after 4 months? just curious...
    It's the route I want to go down with regards to playing in clubs. I just wanna get used to either cdjs or Technics (obviously cdjs would be more useful for this purpose but the more I look at Technics the more I fall in love) so I feel comfortable enough. Then I'll keep my soundcard and controls cds/vinyl and thinking about it I'll have to keep TSP as well. I'll keep the S2 for mixing at home too. The reason I have to get rid after 4 months is because I'm going out to Ibiza, so this seemed like a useful way of saving money for it so I don't just blow it on nights out.

How much is the TSP upgrade in the UK and how'd you do it? Remember looking for it before and couldn't find where to actually upgrade.

Just an idea...

You could do what I have done (you will save money on getting the DJM 600), Buy either the Technics or CDJ's and use your S2 as the mixer, if you buy (again like me) TSP W/Audio 6, you can hook it up use all the S2's functions (song selecting/fx etc)

TSP also has the drivers for the S2 included so if you ever just want to use that then switch over and dont need both programms on your laptop.

Tech Mentor

I do the same, S2 with an audio 8 & 1210's, i couldnt fit any more on desk i got the scratch upgrade from my local dj store, its a good deal (cost me £100 I think) comes with vinyl and cd's.
    TSP 2, S2, Audio 8, Maschine, 1210's, Launchpad, iPad, Nocturn 25, LPD8

www.audioj.webs.com S2 users check it out

www.JigAudio.webs.com Maschine goodness & other stuff

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Willis View Post
    Just an idea...

You could do what I have done (you will save money on getting the DJM 600), Buy either the Technics or CDJ's and use your S2 as the mixer, if you buy (again like me) TSP W/Audio 6, you can hook it up use all the S2's functions (song selecting/fx etc)

TSP also has the drivers for the S2 included so if you ever just want to use that then switch over and dont need both programms on your laptop.
    Good idea, but as I'm not keeping it forever and it's a way of saving my money til Ibiza I may as well get the DJM600

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
    I do the same, S2 with an audio 8 & 1210's, i couldnt fit any more on desk i got the scratch upgrade from my local dj store, its a good deal (cost me £100 I think) comes with vinyl and cd's.
    That's pretty good. Steep if you're not bothered about the vinyl though. I really like the look of the Desolat ltd. ed. Scratch vinyl too

You can't use the Audio 2 with timecode mate, minimum you would need an Audio 4 (discontinued but come up on eBay)
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    You can't use the Audio 2 with timecode mate, minimum you would need an Audio 4 (discontinued but come up on eBay)
    Ah sweet. Been looking at the Audio 6 but would prefer not to spend any more.

Tech Guru

Time has come where I'm looking to buy.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when purchasing the cdj800mk2s and djm600?
    Is there any difference between the black and the silver djm600? The silver looks newer but maybe that just because the black and gold looks really old fashioned.

Also, exactly what cables am I gonna need for the setup inc. the soundcard?

Whats the difference between an audio 4 and a 6? Is a Komplete Audio 6 something different as well?
    Last edited by KS2; 01-05-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast