Question about genres

Default Question about genres

I'm a music producer/audio engineer...and I've been interested in taking up DJing for a while, it seems incredibly fun and also seems like a good way to put my massive music library/obsession with music to good use.

The thing is, I'm not really interested in DJing most types of club music. The genres I'd be most interested in would be

1) Downtempo/Trip Hop
    2) Hip Hop (mostly underground)
    3) Reggae/Dub

I'd also be possibly interested in DJing Minimal Techno and Breakbeats.

I definitely want to give DJing a go, but I guess what I'm wondering is...if I want to make some money off it some day, how much of a market is there for those 5 genres in 2012?

Tech Mentor

Don't do it for money. Do it for the love of the music.

If you want to make money out of it, play top 40 and be a mobile DJ, or play whatever is currently the flavour of the month.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

In order to make money you have to be good. and have people that want to hear you dj.

You have the wrong ideal to be starting and probably wont go anywhere if you are looking to make money within the first 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    In order to make money you have to be good. and have people that want to hear you dj.

You have the wrong ideal to be starting and probably wont go anywhere if you are looking to make money within the first 2 years.
    umm what gave you the impression I was looking to make money within 2 years?

it's not about money at all...I'd just like one day be able to DJ to other people, not just myself and my friends in my living room...wanted to know how likely that'd be if I don't DJ club music.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsNight View Post
    umm what gave you the impression I was looking to make money within 2 years?

it's not about money at all...I'd just like one day be able to DJ to other people, not just myself and my friends in my living room...wanted to know how likely that'd be if I don't DJ club music.
    All genres have there bangers so I say yea! Trip hop and hip hop are liked by a lot of people

Tech Mentor

You didn't tell us where you are located... DJing that stuff where I am you could expect to make very little, but there are places where you COULD be making a healthy sum.

If you want a dollar amount the location info is equally important. Where I am, you could make a little more dollar wise but in comparison its low considering that a cheap house is 500k+ and thats a mansion some places

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    lol what?

I live in London

London has a scene for every genre you could think of.
    Look up some bars/clubs on http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=13
    Then get down there and mingle - that's the quickest way to get a gig.
    SC | MC