Well that's just disheartening
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Well that's just disheartening

Hey guys, just read an article on the djtt blog here and I'm not going to go on a rant or anything but in the article it said you basically have to give up any full time career you're pursuing or have and use all that time to dj and produce music. I'm just seeing what you guys think because I'm 20 years old right now and have been producing music for about 2 to 3 years and have listened to EDM since I discovered Ferry Corsten on Itunes when I was 12 years old and now and I'm finally getting to a point where I'm proud of what I'm making and am starting to get noticed. I've always had aspirations of being a professional dj/producer but I'm not going to give up my career path that I'm guaranteed to make a living on to chase something that you have a very slim chance of making it at unless you give up everything else in your life for it. I just wanted to know if anyone out there is or was in the same situation as me and has made it without throwing their life away for it. I would still like to pursue my dreams but I'd also like to have a plan b. thoughts, comments, questions are all welcome
    Last edited by Bigtyme7; 01-06-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Well, Girl Talk finished college with a degree in biochemistry and he didn't end up enjoying what he was doing...and now he's Girl Talk. Stop worrying and do your thing. "Overnight success takes about 15 years."
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

I read the article and have discussed this same situation with friends over the years...

Personally I feel it's true.

You have to put your all in when it comes to the music thing. This usually means not looking at it like a hobby and jumping in with both feet.

I'm not quite at your position, but I made the decision to keep DJ'ing / making mashups as a hobby, and not quit my day job to put 100% into my passion... I'm happy I can pay the bills, and do an occasional gig a few times a year, but I have to keep my aspirations in check. I realize I'll never make a career as DJ, mostly because I don't have the time to put 100% into the craft, and I have to be content with that.

It's tough, as I watch my friends rise up in the local scene. But most have part time jobs, and have come to rely on their musical talents to bring in what money they can... this forces them to put 100% focus on their passion, and really hone their skills. But I also hear about money woes and a no feeling of security, and personally that would drive me nuts. On the other hand, I find these people to be truly happy because they are doing something they love.

Tech Wizard

Ya I understand both of your guys points of views idk I'd like to think I'd be able to hold my career and do the music thing on the side and be successful but I just don't know if I can get where I want to be by just producing tracks whenever I can.

Tech Wizard

lot of mixed thoughts not an easy decision to make.

It's too risky for most people to jump into the deep end and dj/producer success takes years. Every successful local dj I know that's makes a sole living from music ALWAYS had a full time job going into it. Then they dropped to part time when things picked up, and finally quit the day job. For the people I personally know who did this, it took them about 5 years to get to that point. A couple of them had jobs In the industry already (ie a barback at a club) while one worked at a cable company.

Don't quit your day job, you can still have success but it will take longer, though you won't get kicked out of your house or not be able to eat when the gigs dont come rolling in. The truth is a very small percentage of people become very successful at this.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

thanks for the input!

I think the only thing I really want is to do everything I can do to be successful without giving up my full time job, and if it doesn't work out with the music I want to know that if I give up on my dream I gave everything I could to be successful and have no regrets that way
    Last edited by Bigtyme7; 01-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Tech Mentor

Yea man I know what yer saying, Im around your age (22) in college doing architecture and its literally sucking the life out of my practicing and music production

It really bums me because I worked all summer to pay for a lot of new gear (light fx, speakers, amps etc) and had plans of throwing unofficial partyies for this summer coming.

All of this with a great amount of practice put in, but now ive lost it as I havent the time for it with my course.

It also stopped me from attending the DJ Soc in my college, which I was really looking forward.

Pretty crap, so I feel yer pain :P

Tech Wizard

Yea that's horrible! :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast