Well that's just disheartening - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

At 20 years old ... If you're going to do it ... DO IT! RIGHT NOW! I'm 29 ... at 22 I had placements w/ Tech N9ne ... and some other very notable independent artists. In your personal life ... avoid or be very cautious with credit cards ... relationships ... making babies. Also take care of yourself (health wise) These are things that will hinder your creative growth ... IF YOU ALLOW THEM TO. And all those things are GREAT things ... BUT the truth is ... these are things that will "enslave" you to some degree. I would say time is of the essence for you. Start sacrificing ... RIGHT NOW ... eat ramen noodles ... live cheap ... save money. MONEY = TIME. So if you can live cheap and save money ... you'll have more time. In my opinion .. that's what it boils down to.

I mentioned my age and placements because I came to that VERY crossroad. I chose the easy way out. I did not sacrifice .. I did not take a risk ... I did not INVEST IN ME! The sky was the limit for me then ... I just didn't go after it. After plenty of confirmation that I was in the right lane.

7 years can fly by ... And to me .. each year FEELS faster than the one before.

I'm stronger and better than ever ... because for those 7 years ... I made productive use of my free time. And continued to fight. But when your free time is necessarily consumed with production. and your day job pays your mortgage, car payment, bills, credit card debt. There's not a lot of time to generate funds to invest in yourself.

YOU STAY IN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE! Something drove you to get into this and stick with it up to now. ESPECIALLY as a producer ... You have something special tugging on you. Don't ignore it.

NOTE: I don't think producers are smarter than DJ's. I just think audio production is a MUCH deeper, MORE technical CRAFT.

I supplement my income by DJ'ing on the nights and weekends. I would suggest you do that to.

I may sound frantic and panicky ... but ... you are at an age where you can still create your own balance! And balance is key to everything.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme7 View Post
    lot of mixed thoughts not an easy decision to make.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

#RESPECT

Just curious if you have a soundcloud OP so I can see how much you have learned producing in 3 years. It would give a better assumption on telling you to pursue your music fulltime or not, your in the same situation as me. Do I go all in or only half in?

Tech Wizard

Ya I'll post up my latest work in progress tomorrow so you guys can see I have a sound cloud but not much is on it due to the fact that I have a hard time staying on track and finishing songs because of my add. I'll do that tomorrow though I'm am emt and I'm at work right now

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme7 View Post
    Ya I'll post up my latest work in progress tomorrow so you guys can see I have a sound cloud but not much is on it due to the fact that I have a hard time staying on track and finishing songs because of my add. I'll do that tomorrow though I'm am emt and I'm at work right now
    Finishing songs should be the start then we can judge from a finished song.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Finishing songs should be the start then we can judge from a finished song.
    D*mn good point. Maybe I jumped the gun with my speech. At some point I should have said that ...

If your stuff isn't HOT .. you may want to stay in school.

I NEVER suggested to quit a job, though. My point was to DO IT while you can. TRY while you can ... and to TRY HARDER and HARDER ... (when you REALLY do that ... good things start happening TO you.)

You could slip and fall out of the shower and die on some flukey BS ... life is short. make it sweet. I have a saying that motivates me:

"Peace and beauty lay just beyond sweat and blood."

Cheesy and ghey .. But think about it.
    Last edited by jshawpro; 01-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.

#RESPECT

Quote Originally Posted by jshawpro View Post
    D*mn good point. Maybe I jumped the gun with my speech. At some point I should have said that ...

If your stuff isn't hot .. you may want to stay in school.
    Your points are always full of info so when I come into a thread there is only about a sentence of untouched info I can give! LOL,

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Your points are always full of info so when I come into a thread there is only about a sentence of untouched info I can give! LOL,
    HAHA ... my apologies! I fell in love with music again when I started playing out last year. I can't turn it off. The passion was suppressed by my own doing for a long time. And because it's the holidays ... I've had time to hop on the forum and talk about my passion. It helps me grow ... I'm finding.

I'm back to work full time tomorrow ... so there should be some real estate left for you. BUT WILL BE BACK!
    Plus I'm releasing my first EP since I was 16 on the 15th. All my work has been for others after about 18.
    I want to BLOW PEOPLE AWAY. So for that reason, too ... I'll be on less.

And there I go rambling again ... CYA!

#RESPECT

Quote Originally Posted by jshawpro View Post
    At 20 years old ... If you're going to do it ... DO IT! RIGHT NOW! I'm 29 ... at 22 I had placements w/ Tech N9ne ... and some other very notable independent artists. In your personal life ... avoid or be very cautious with credit cards ... relationships ... making babies. Also take care of yourself (health wise) These are things that will hinder your creative growth ... IF YOU ALLOW THEM TO. And all those things are GREAT things ... BUT the truth is ... these are things that will "enslave" you to some degree. I would say time is of the essence for you. Start sacrificing ... RIGHT NOW ... eat ramen noodles ... live cheap ... save money. MONEY = TIME. So if you can live cheap and save money ... you'll have more time. In my opinion .. that's what it boils down to.

I mentioned my age and placements because I came to that VERY crossroad. I chose the easy way out. I did not sacrifice .. I did not take a risk ... I did not INVEST IN ME! The sky was the limit for me then ... I just didn't go after it. After plenty of confirmation that I was in the right lane.

7 years can fly by ... And to me .. each year FEELS faster than the one before.

I'm stronger and better than ever ... because for those 7 years ... I made productive use of my free time. And continued to fight. But when your free time is necessarily consumed with production. and your day job pays your mortgage, car payment, bills, credit card debt. There's not a lot of time to generate funds to invest in yourself.

YOU STAY IN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE! Something drove you to get into this and stick with it up to now. ESPECIALLY as a producer ... You have something special tugging on you. Don't ignore it.

NOTE: I don't think producers are smarter than DJ's. I just think audio production is a MUCH deeper, MORE technical CRAFT.

I supplement my income by DJ'ing on the nights and weekends. I would suggest you do that to.

I may sound frantic and panicky ... but ... you are at an age where you can still create your own balance! And balance is key to everything.

Best of luck.
    some good points made here, I am also 29 and I feel that I only just now have come to understand myself and what I really want. My advice, if you love it, do as much of it as you can and wait for your opportunity, be ready when it presents itself. However im not freaking out about it being too late, not at all. the beauty of Djing and producing is it isnt as age prejudice as other apparatus, i.e being a successful rock band, or a movie star....
    we have all the time to appreciate and grow, some of the biggest names out there are approaching 50. Granted to get gigs as a dj it might serve to be not so old, but what we are really talking about here, is making it, and for that you need your own productions and thats something that you can work your way up to... Overnight success is overrated, the progression should be in enjoyed...smell the roses and all that..... and jshawpro says, no unplanned pregnancies.... I have a little boy, im just fortunant that my lifestyle and job enables me to chase that dream, really I have such a great platform to do it, it would be something horrible if i didn't try.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

I'm also at this crossroad, however im leaning to dj as a hobby and source of extra income.
    What I can say for sure is, if you buy a place to live in with your girl or thinking of getting a kid, that are things that will lock you up.

im 21 and bought a flat year ago but i already had to sacrifice my dj booth when we moved in. Now i occupy the kitchen table.. but that doesnt really work out well. I want to move but she does not, stuff like this you should try to avoid if you want to make a career!

I have a friend that has several vinyl releases on VERY respectable Drum n' Bass labels, and even he has a part-time day job. So rather than have a career where DJing/Producing is the side action, for him it's the other way around. He has a Pre-Med degree that he didn't pursue any further, because he got his first release on 31 Records around the time he graduated. It's been 4 years since then, and he's about to drop his first full-length album. LOL, if I told Y'all what this Pre-Med graduate's side job was, you would certainly laugh, and I can only imagine what his folks must think as well, but despite all of that he IS living the dream.

So I agree, if you want to "make it", you have to bring DJing/Producing to the forefront of your life. However, just because you give it your all doesn't necessarily guarantee success. This fact reminds me of a quote/sample (on EZ Rollers - Retro) by the wise one, Derrick May, when he said thus - "Some of these guys will never make a dime. Some of these guys will be poor & dying alone. But in the process they've been the true renegades, and the true rebels always walk alone anyway."

In other words, pursue your passions with your all, but there are no guarantees in life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast