Progam Favoritism?

Default Progam Favoritism?

Not really sure if this belongs in Off-Topic but not sure where else it would go..

So! Just for reference I've been using Virtual DJ since it was a game on Shockwave and the AtomixMP3. So I've been with this program and followed it for a good bit.

I've noticed over the years that all these big time producers are using stuff like Logic, Traktor, Ableton, Itch, Seranto, but I've yet to actually see a famous DJ/Producer use Virtual DJ. Finding information on it can be difficult at times too. The DJTT software forum thing doesn't even mention it. Some people don't even know what it is. and there is even times I'm even laughed at when people hear that I'm running Virtual DJ with a Numark iDJ3(regular map) and a Akai MPK Mini(custom map) when it does nearly the same things as people with cdj's, mixers, and traktor.

Is Virtual DJ seriously that bad a program to stay with if trying to break out and become a professional for like clubs and whatnot? :<

EDIT: Whats your program? Why do you use it? How long have you used it? What all have you used?
    Last edited by davoh; 01-07-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Make more fun!

Tech Guru

Virtual DJ is a (relative) newcomer to the "pro-features" market. The other programs mentioned have longer track records of providing the kinds of features that "big time" producers like working with.

Also, keep in mind that Vitrual DJ (and Traktor, and SSL, etc) are for "playing." Ableton, Logic, etc are for "producing". There is some cross use between those...but in general there is a division between tools to play and tools to make.

Also, keep in mind that many "big time" players are sponsored by one company or another...and may "choose" their tools based on that sponsorship.

First, I do not scratch...so the "timecode" features don't make a decision for me. I used BPM Studio for years....it was stable, had a small footprint, and got the job done. I trialed a dozen or so programs over the last decade (going all the way back to PC DJ, Atomix / Virtual DJ, Disco XT, and tons of others). I settled on Traktor a few years ago based mostly on the support community at DJTT. It was just easier for me to find answers, support, and tricks/tips with Traktor that with other programs. There was nothing "magical" about my choice...it allowed me to get working...and now that it is working, I am not really looking for something better.

However, none of these tools will get you into (or keep you out of) the "big time." There are thousands of small things that contribute to your success or not. Focus on the art - do something - practice, practice, practice.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Virtual DJ is a (relative) newcomer to the "pro-features" market. The other programs mentioned have longer track records of providing the kinds of features that "big time" producers like working with.
    In what aspects may I ask? I'm not trying to be all VIRTUAL DJ IS BETTER! From what I've noticed is Traktor is mostly about effects. Very very good and bad ass effects.

Also, keep in mind that Vitrual DJ (and Traktor, and SSL, etc) are for "playing." Ableton, Logic, etc are for "producing". There is some cross use between those...but in general there is a division between tools to play and tools to make.
    When I think of producing software I think of more towards Reason and Fl Studio (and logic I really don't know why I put that on there lol) but Abelton is different from what I've been seeing since I got my LaunchPad. It's kind of work towards the grounds of both types of programs, with producing being the main, mixing being secondary.

Also, keep in mind that many "big time" players are sponsored by one company or another...and may "choose" their tools based on that sponsorship.
    I like this part of the comment lol.

First, I do not scratch...so the "timecode" features don't make a decision for me. I used BPM Studio for years....it was stable, had a small footprint, and got the job done. I trialed a dozen or so programs over the last decade (going all the way back to PC DJ, Atomix / Virtual DJ, Disco XT, and tons of others). I settled on Traktor a few years ago based mostly on the support community at DJTT. It was just easier for me to find answers, support, and tricks/tips with Traktor that with other programs. There was nothing "magical" about my choice...it allowed me to get working...and now that it is working, I am not really looking for something better.
    See I do "scratch" on occasion. My problem with Traktor is that I can't seem to get it I guess, or I just can't seem to have fun with it like I can Virtual DJ. I've been trying to make the switch over but it's been rather difficult I have to admit.

However, none of these tools will get you into (or keep you out of) the "big time." There are thousands of small things that contribute to your success or not. Focus on the art - do something - practice, practice, practice.
    Practice is something I do almost 7 hours everyday just for fun and probably 1-2 dedicated to youtube surfing lessons, tips, tricks, and whatnot. I'm just tired of looking like that kid that walks into the club with a DJ Hero controller and says he's the next Dead-mau FIVE! (because I hate both those things a lot lol).
    Last edited by davoh; 01-07-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot and left out the first part

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davoh View Post
    In what aspects may I ask? I'm not trying to be all VIRTUAL DJ IS BETTER! From what I've noticed is Traktor is mostly about effects. Very very good and bad ass effects.
    Virtual DJ was first released in 2003...having been based on Atomix which was released in 2000. These were both "software only" solutions. There was support for 3rd party hardware, but it was ad hoc at best.

Traktor was first released in 2000. By 2003, both the cue point support and MIDI support were "industry leading" in Traktor. The effects engine has also been "industry leading" for a long time. These features made Traktor more "playable" in a club setting than other programs at that time.

It is important to look back that far...because the "big time" people of today were learning their craft 10 years ago...with the tools that were available 10 years ago. There is some muscle memory "lock in" that happens with software and tools. The details of workflow tend to become ingrained in people over time, and changing to another workflow comes at a cost. Sometimes that cost is just enough to keep people using the same software over a really long time.

I am not saying that "today" there is a clear leader in terms of DJ software....but based on history, I can easily see why the "big time" players are what they are using.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39