Getting Gigs Away from Home

Default Getting Gigs Away from Home

So, I'm visiting family in Montreal, and went clubbing the other night. And it was awesome! But then I thought to myself... how do I get my foot in the door, especially when i'm only here for a week or two each time I'm in town?

Anyone got any experience getting gigs away from your home town WITHOUT superstar status, or any experiences to share on the subject?
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

Rock up with a disc with an mpeg of one of your parties and a demo mix, put yourself out there and you'll be surprised mate. good luck
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

toss demos out to promoters you have met on forums, myspace, and whatnot. If you're planning on just going on holiday and want to play out wherever you are, a few well timed phone calls and emails accompanied by a press kit will usually do the trick. If you want to do a proper tour, make sure you try to book a route with enough stops to at least break even from your overhead. And wherever you go, there will be producers: make sure to grab as much music as you can from the locals. There are some real nice undiscovered gems out there.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

I got mistaken for Rusko last week on holiday in South Wales! That got me an instant half hour dubstep set! (crazy stuff...) I happened to have taken my laptop.. I passed as him too! But I don't recommend you do that - it was only because he was promoting a gig there, and his flyers were everywhere (which looked like me )

Definitely the chucking demos around thing - that's a surefire way to get some work somewhere at least! You'd be surprised... but don't expect to be doing something that night - it's a long shot, but sometimes you'll hit lucky. Make sure it's good too - and the main thing, is that you can pull a bigger crowd (that's what promoters want). If you pursuade them that you can bring your whole hotel, then they'll snap you up.

Be pro-active

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Depends on the scene you're running in, but sometimes just a simple "Hey, I'm going to be in town and I'd really like a gig" goes a long way. Or, if you go to a club night just talk people up and see what happens for the next time you get out there.

But send mixes, get set lists together, have a press kit, whole 9 yards.

If you're running in the goth scene, like I think you are judging by your avatar then I could give you some better advice: make friends with people who know people and milk your connections to the bone.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

In the GI scene I have found its all about who you know also. Thats why I hate them all.

except DvlsAdvct
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

YAY! I win
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Well, I'm in the goth industrial scene. I have a bi-weekly fetish industrial sunday night gig. Montreal has a huge fetish scene, so I need some contacts..

I will definitely work on the demo. Guess I haven't made one yet because I am still a really, really shy kind of person. Not that I should be, being a DJ and all, lol =)

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming. I'm sure others can use the knowledge as well!
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir

@DvlsAdvct: Good guess lol!

Yeah, I spin Synthpop through Noize, and some other stuff as well =)
    DJ Neurotique

Berurier Noir

Well, honestly, just check the event websites and email people. It can't hurt, though you might not get any word back. But your first trip there as a marketing agent might involve you just going to the events and talking people up. Bring some business cards, a mix, and a good personality. Shyness will get you overlooked. Don't hesitate to, y'know, buy the DJ drinks, let them talk about how awesome they are; be sure to talk to the promoters also, if there are any, as they might get you a good vote too, or have the say to do bookings.

You run in the right scene to be shy, but the DJs in this scene kind of have really overwhelming personalities. I know I kind of come off as a dick to a lot of people, mainly because I am one of the only people in the room capable of holding a conversation beyond the normal structure of club life.

Just be relaxed and have fun. You're a DJ. Be sure to dance and not make fun of the mixing or music cause, well, you don't want to come off like me
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall