noobie question - do you buy older tracks? (not talking about hits)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default noobie question - do you buy older tracks? (not talking about hits)

all my life i've been a crate digger. from my early days as a scrawny kid looking for that one live bootleg of his favorite rock band to my love affair with electronic music that has grown over the past 5 - 6 years. why it took me so long to think of dj'ing myself, i have no idea. but here i am

as i make the transition from a listener of mixes / podcasts to actually building my own library however, if i run across what i think is a hidden gem but i discover the release date is two or three years ago, i find i have this hesitation to buy it. like i'm breaking some unwritten rule.

i love long deep house sets. it's not a genre that really focuses on recognizable anthems to begin with, so it some ways it seems like it shouldn't matter.

but i was just curious to get the opinion of the more experienced folks on this board - when you're making a mix, does every track have to be from the past 6 weeks? (exaggerating, but you get my point). what is the average shelf life of the tracks you buy? is there some cutoff point for a tracks release past which you wont buy it?

anyways, thanks in advance from a noob.

If a song is a gem, its a gem. I have a couple songs that are 3 years old but still fit into my playlists and gets the crowd going everytime I play it. I personally wouldn't buy it tho.. mind you I scour for free DLs often

Agree with AllDay, in fact I am kind of obsessive about keeping mixes varied, I feel like I'd be cheating if the set would consist of newly acquired stuff exclusively; I gotta put a gem or several in there. Or maybe that's just my programming style.

As a side note, I only do mixes for upload (for now of course, I am not too long "in the game") so that might not apply to live. For me music is timeless and even if the tune shows the sign of age, the fact that it could work with newer stuff always gives me tingles.

Tech Guru

I think these days more than ever old gems are just as if not more important than the newest ones. Everyone know's the new tracks and has access to them online, the older tracks (especially with Deep House) can make your set fresher then a set full of only new tunes. If you're into Deep do your self a favour and some turntables if you don't have a pair so much good old (and new) stuff on vinyl only.

Tech Guru

As has been sort of said above, a great track is a great track, irrespective of age. If you're keen about looking back over say the last couple of decades for House/Deep House, then a turntable is a must, you'll also enjoy the thrill of picking up classic tunes on vinyl, I still love it now despite going digital for the last few years. I still play much of my vinyl I've collected over the years although I must admit to being lazy and rebuying the odd tune digitally, if available that is - this is one of my biggest issues is finding tracks digitally which have been deleted or the label no longer exists. Traxsource is very good for older house tunes, look under Classic House.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

yup, i don't care how old a track is, if i like it i will get it. i still spin deep house tunes that i've had in my collection for 10+ years. also if i've never heard something, it's new to me.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

speaking of older deep house, this thread is making me want to get on my turntables and start off a session with this gem:

tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Same as squidot; I spin deep house and mix old with new. Actually been spinning a lot of tracks form 2010 because I am finding a lot of good releases from then but my head was up my ass at the time and I missed them. When playing a set, I pay no attention to release dates.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    speaking of older deep house, this thread is making me want to get on my turntables and start off a session with this gem:

Love Schmoov! Remember buying the first few releases on Winding Road, lovely deep house.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys. I'm here for the love of music and I've always felt that good music is good regardless but sometimes I feel like there's this underlying competition to always be on the bleeding edge rather than just enjoy great tunes.

Love the track squidot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast