DJs who are real musicians
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DJs who are real musicians

Hi all, new here and been getting into dj'ing recently and reading a lot of threads around vinyl vs cdj vs digital which got me thinking about my own take on it all.

I started mixing on Traktor but without any serious gear and recently managed to get hold of some cdj 350s from a friend and had lots of fun beatmatching and keeping things in time (albeit at the expense of all the creative things you can do on Traktor).

I have a background in guitar so i appreciate musicianship and talent and whilst i agree the main job of a dj is to entertain the crowd, i don't really intend to make it a point of mine to start playing clubs but just want to look forward to coming home from work and rock out in my bedroom.

I love the spontaneity of just jumping on the cdjs and seeing what happens (like improvising on the guitar), practising my beatmatching (like doing scales) and just generally trying to focus on the musicianship of it.

I don't know maybe it's just me but a lot of people seem to want to use DJing as a means to an end, to rock the club, that no one cares if you beatmatch, its all about the crowd etc. I totally agree but at the end of the day for me, finding the music and challenge of mastering a craft is the enjoyment and if the crowd enjoys it, thats awesome.

So having said all that, who are some EDM DJs you guys listen to who are real musicians on the decks? I want to be inspired!

Zedd comes to mind.

a lot of folks here on djtt play instruments and consider themselfes to be musician. like i do. i play drums but quit playing in a band almost 2 years ago to focus more on djing. was a tough decision but i made the right desicion. both playing in a band and djing wouldn´t have worked out since we were touring a lot as well as i have a lot of dj gigs. but i hope i´ll somehow will have the time again to play in a band on a lower level than before.
    Last edited by Ed Paris; 01-09-2013 at 05:04 AM.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Groove Armada!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Mentor

Faithless
    Kraftwerk
    Orbital
    all pretty much pioneers of live elcetronic music
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

A lot of guys around here have routed there pianos and guitars to ableton and then have those instruments turn into synths.

Neighbour would be the most famous around here for that.

Borgore & Tomba played/play(?) in a death/heavy metal band as Guitarist & Drummer.

Thom Yorke also does DJ shows... he did one recently here in australia after Radiohead did a gig, he played in a small bar.

I'm sure there are others as well, a lot of musicians who play in a band do solo stuff as DJs.

you might also wanna check out this thread:
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=65450
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Ean Golden
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Skrillex.
    Deadmanh Five.
    And Paris Hilton.
    //Soundcloud//DeviantART//Need a custom dj logo? *Temporarily Closed, check thread for details* //
    Set up = Numark iDJ3 :: Akai MPK Mini :: Novation LaunchPad ::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast