What do you guys think about "sellout songs"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What do you guys think about "sellout songs"

I'm sure all you have these songs. Songs that all the girls like and dance to, but aren't actually very good. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpIhR...eature=related)
    What do you guys think about these songs? Do you play them and if you do how much?

Misha
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

I actually like that song. I didn't think it sounded all that commercial-ish at all.

I don't understand really what you mean by "sellout song." I always thought sell out meant giving up something that you liked just for the money??

I thought it was going to be some Eurocheese (Eurodance, lol) song. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I89O9eUksHw Which I also like :eek:. Brings me back to my days of high school (which wasn't that long ago, anyway)

edit: if people dance to what your playing, doesn't that mean your just doing your job?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

i didnt find any of those songs to be sell outs or just songs for people to dance to? I agree with the above post isnt it our job to get people to dance? lol i mean when i think sell out i think like say some artist who has there own special sounds and then they give in and release songs that sound the same as everything else?

Why would you want to play songs people wouldn't want to dance to but then again i guess it depends on the crowd your playing to

Besides everyone has there own tastes in music so one persons garbage is another persons treasure
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Tech Guru

i dunno maybe it's just me but ... life is too short and the scene is too saturated to play music I don't love, let alone don't like

not trying to diss, i just don't really understand why you'd want to compromise your instincts based on naive assumptions about your audience.

haha sorry left out a part in my previous post.. haha i wouldnt play these songs at a party :P id rather find some mean killer tunes to crank haha all i was saying in my previous post is how do you know what a sell out is? as its a pretty like blurred line lol
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

sellout=anything on the radio to me
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Peaches is at least a woman unlike Lady,with a Penis, GaGa http://www.wwtdd.com/2009/08/there-are-you-happy-now/

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    life is too short and the scene is too saturated to play music I don't love
    +123910.

for songs like that..yeah you might throw in your set if you're out gigging and people are going to want to hear it. throwing in your mixtape or set or whatever that you're going to record and put out as your style, that's another story.

but duerr keeps it trill.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

??
    fart.

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    throwing in your mixtape or set or whatever that you're going to record and put out as your style, that's another story.
    How is that any different from releasing a track thats a "sell out" - dropping a "sell out" track in a club and dropping a "sell out" track on a release are both doing the same thing : trying to cater for a wider audience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast