The Evils of Sampling - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

2nd to Duerr, I don't think this pitbull song is any worse than any other, although my brother shot and is in the music video, so that is pretty cool. Actually I think this is better than most mainstream music (read lady gaga, t-pain, etc.).

Ed. the sampling is cool, because then when you drop the house original there is recognition.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 08-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post

Woah. Just a second there, professor.

I am fully aware that most modern music owes much of it's success to sampling. I am also aware that as a DJ, my entire job is basically a series of continuous sampling.

All I'm trying to suggest is that a downside of all of this is lack of credit where it is due. I'm not completely sure how this thread is, in any way, ironic.

There's an evil side and certainly a great side of sampling. Everything has pros and cons, I'm just mentioning a byproduct of something that's great. Drinking alcohol is fun, but the evil side of drinking is alcoholism, liver failure, etc.

I am in no way suggesting that sampling is bad

yeah i understand what your saying, i just had to point out the humour in it is all.

it's a bit of a tall order to expect the younger generations to have a great enough musical knowledge to be able to make the connections between new music and their sample sources. I don't think this is a bad thing or an evil thing, it just is what it is. The flipside is that people who are inclined to learn more about music history can research the samples that their favourite artists use and can discover more about the original music sources which will open up new doors for learning about older music.

Sorry i know this was meant to be a light hearted thread, i just felt like being contrary to stir up discussion lol

It's all good bro.

it's a bit of a tall order to expect the younger generations to have a great enough musical knowledge to be able to make the connections between new music and their sample sources.
    Good point. You're absolutely correct. I think most of us are guilty of this anyway. A prime example of this was when I learned that not only did Daft Punk sample Breakwater's 'Release the Beast,' Daft Punk's 'Robot Rock' was mostly a collection of samples from that song, and little else. I didn't even know for a long time that it was sampled, let along composed almost entirely of samples.

The point is, I'm guilty of the same thing that my sisters friend did. I had no idea it was so sample heavy at first.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

yea......shit happens unfortunately...

At least it wasnt a completely bastardized low-class, meat-head song and video. At least it wasnt being "rapped" by some studio fabricated, no talent assclown. At least he doesnt wear his sunglasses at night indoors..........

...oh wait....

I hear his next club hit "Smack Dat Ass, Grab Doze Titz and Rub My Cock...YEEEE-UH!" samples Eddie Amador's "House Music" Rhodes riff.......

http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Guru

I dont disagree with sampling, I disagree with shite music. Which that track very much is. When a shite track as such blatantly steals samples from a sweet tune it pisses me off. Not cos I disagree with sampling... again cos I disagree with shite tunes.

So basically the core of the issue here is Shite tunes are Shite & Shite tunes that sample good tunes are even more shite.

Sorted.

i sample all my beats who cares, but it makes me listen to even more music.

but i think it funny when people say kanye stole daft punk song, when they sampled that to lol. then i tell them kanye had to get permission to use that song in which every time its played daft punk gets a royalty check from it or he just paid a big lump sum up front.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

This runs across all genres, though. I was standing outside of my old gig where we did "european techno" according to the promoter, whatever the fuck that means, downstairs and the main room was 80's. The DJ was playing New Order - Blue Monday and some girl who couldn't have been older than my sister (19 at the time) said "Who covered this Orgy song?" I think a bit of me died.

But it's our job, as the DJ, as the music lover and afficianado, to point our wayward youths, as someone had to do with all of us, in the right direction.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    Pitbull - Krazy
    total rip off of Federico Franchi - Cream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Lyka8Znes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBq3vvjuliY
    That one's not even funny. Direct lift of the entire track.

Tech Wizard

Its not just pitbull doing that.

Right round - Flo rida (I guess he sampled the old songs lyrics lol)
    Sugar - Flo rida (they use the lyrics from that blue song)

There are a lot more but this is just what came to mind...

I consider Pitbulls music to be more professionally made mash ups. (he should probably label them as such)

That song should be called Federico Franchi feat. Pitbull - Cream (Crazy).
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

Jack Bastard

Sampling is like free speech, innit.

You have to take the rough with the smooth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast