The Evils of Sampling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Evils of Sampling

The other day I was driving my little sister and her friend somewhere and I was listening to The Nightcrawlers' "Push the Feeling On," which if you somehow haven't heard, sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSzpOUwiLkc

Once it broke into that unforgettable horn(?) loop, one of my sister's friends said something along the lines of "wow they stole this from that rap song." Referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aKULwo4aMg

I almost chipped all of my teeth from clenching my jaw as my blood pressure shot through the roof. I have nothing against rap, I actually listen to it frequently. But the fact that she thought the rap song came first and that the Nightcrawlers stole the sample drove me nuts.

Double standard alert: I'm sure there are tons of songs I like that use samples from songs I've never heard; Daft Punk is a prime example of this. I was just pissed; that song was made before she was even born.

Does anyone know what I mean? Or am I just weird?
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I know exactly what you mean.

One that drives me up the wall every time...

Pitbull - Krazy
    total rip off of Federico Franchi - Cream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Lyka8Znes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBq3vvjuliY

So "Push the Feeling On" was released in 1993 which was before she was born?

Also... what a terrible rap song
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Oh yeah I forgot all about that song. Grrrr

I realize, too, that there's not really a good way to knowledge the sample from within the song; I don't expect the new artist to go "Oh by the way, elements of The Nightcrawlers 'Push the Feeling On' were used in this track.

I also am aware that this use of samples helps further the progress of music and benefit both the original and sampling artist.
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    So "Push the Feeling On" was released in 1993 which was before she was born?
    Yeah my sister is young, that's why I had to drive them around.

It's irritating how dumb Hotel Room Service is, imo. It's just a stupid song. You shouldn't be able to take a good song use it in a dumb one. lol
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Yeah my sister is young, that's why I had to drive them around.
    Nah I meant, why get riled up over what a 16 year old thinks about sampling?
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Ahhh, I see. My bad.

Because... damn... kids these days... with their rock 'n' 8-track tapes... don't know nothin about nothin.

But seriously, the only reason I care is because I know she's not the only person to think that.

edit: I guess it's almost like this weird, childish "that song was mine first!" kind of thing. It bothers me because that song "belonged" to the EDM community and now it's been hurled into a mainstream rap song. Not that I'm trying to suggest that I'm some sort of hardcore, underground music fan, or even that I don't like mainstream music. I don't know, any psychology majors here wanna take a shot at this one? lol
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

one of the worst for this is people who think Kanyes - Harder Better .. is an original - seriously!

Tech Guru

lol.... i don't know how any dj can put the words "evil" and "sampling" in the same sentence.. HipHop and EDM would be nowhere if it wasn't for sampling, and DJing would be nowhere if it wasnt for HipHop and EDM.

i think this wins Ironic thread of the year.

you gotta take the good with the bad fellas. kid sisters may say the darndest things, but sampling is still cool.

:P

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    one of the worst for this is people who think Kanyes - Harder Better .. is an original - seriously!
    Oh absolutely. I was watching some videos on youtube a while back and I remember angry fans posting comments saying how Daft Punk stole it from Kanye. Lolzzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    lol.... i don't know how any dj can put the words "evil" and "sampling" in the same sentence.. HipHop and EDM would be nowhere if it wasn't for sampling, and DJing would be nowhere if it wasnt for HipHop and EDM.

i think this wins Ironic thread of the year.

you gotta take the good with the bad fellas. kid sisters may say the darndest things, but sampling is still cool.

:P
    Woah. Just a second there, professor.

I am fully aware that most modern music owes much of it's success to sampling. I am also aware that as a DJ, my entire job is basically a series of continuous sampling.

All I'm trying to suggest is that a downside of all of this is lack of credit where it is due. I'm not completely sure how this thread is, in any way, ironic.

There's an evil side and certainly a great side of sampling. Everything has pros and cons, I'm just mentioning a byproduct of something that's great. Drinking alcohol is fun, but the evil side of drinking is alcoholism, liver failure, etc.

I am in no way suggesting that sampling is bad
    LamboxMusic.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast