Dramatic house build-ups

Default Dramatic house build-ups

New to DJing and this forum so bear with me! I play a lot of tech house and was looking for some tips on creating really interesting build-ups. I found this video and was interested to know if anyone can tell me how he creates the build up at 5.20? Or any other tips on things to play round with would be great. Thanks

Last edited by Ed Paris; 01-10-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: embedded video

Tech Mentor

Your new to djing and your already asking about build ups? There's a lot more to learn before you should start worrying about that. There's nothing worse than hearing a newbie that has just discovered the sync button going crazy on the effects. Learn how to build a solid set first. Proper phrasing, EQing, and energy management should come first. Learn about building tension by playing the right tracks. Oh, and don't play all high energy bangers.

Tech Mentor

Btw, that build up in the video sounds like a echo reverb releasing on the drop.

Tech Wizard

Default Build up

Yeah I agree O.D. it's better to start with the basics then move to build up and effects. On 5:20 he uses Delay and Reverb.

Tech Mentor

"new to djing" can be relative. so if you know you basics, here is my tipp: a better way to do that kind of buildup (imho): play a drumloop (no kick) over the track, cut the bass from the track, but t3 reverb and delay on the loop and slowly turn up their rates, than release them while bringing the bass from the track back in. boom!

if you dont know the basics, i'm with the guys above me!
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

What's the video? I can't see it!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Neat set whoever it is.
    As O.D. said take your time.
    5:20 sounds like Rev/Delay/Echo, the delay seems either wound down or tap-tempo'd in

You'd be amazed at what 2tables and good mixing can do, if you're serious about mixing keep it simple:
    2tables and a mixer w/out FX.
    practice w/out headphones.
    spend about 2months EQ'ing the fk out of everything, just to get it out of your system.
    script sets/mixes, study them, shape your control, eventually your feel will override need for planning.
    I still the bell curve is the most effective 4/4 set direction, slow start/solid climb/peak/respectful landing.
    if possible tag with friends, 2/3/5 records whatever and you'll be ready for anything.
    Listen to other people's work, if they have an actual "presence" that makes it unique to them it's not by chance.
    Watch lots of youtube sets.

KNOW YOUR RECORDS:
    3in/3out: find 3tracks in/out of every track you play.
    Get to know your records intimately so phasing will come natural.
    Learn your favorite tracks then keep them out of standard rotation.
    With vinyl the b-sides are often wild cards.

my quick philosophy:
    Don't drop hit-lists, rock a gem or 3 but focus on guidance thru mixing.

Try not to jam out a chunk of releases from the same label/artist in a set.

A narrowed genre like "Minimal Techno" dropping RobertHood+DanBell+JeffMills+RichHawtin back to back would lessen the impact of each track and void any highlighting intended in the set.

I play tech-house so I try to cover as much 4/4 base while keeping direction: various types of techno, house, electro (actual fkn electro). Grabbing a few classics, old stuff, new stuff, and a rando or two.

One of my main objectives has always been covering an "intellectual spread" with a crate or two of records. This is pretty much the variable crowd, whereas majority might be won by steady heavy beats w/minimal background, the further evolved require depth/direction/control. I try to cover every base from the randos who think it all sounds the same, to weathered heads who could count mistakes but respect effort. Since day one I've always played technically and materially to appease my gearhead/DJ friends first, and the crowd of course but that tends to fall into place after the first target.

Don't ever stop listening to other peoples mixes.

If someone asks what you think of a mix tell them the truth, be constructive when applicable but being open to criticism is key for honing any skill.