Problem with JackOSX and Audio 8 DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with JackOSX and Audio 8 DJ

Hi all,

Just new to the forum and I'm already asking questions . A while ago I found a great tutorial from nico on how to route Traktor through Ableton Live using JackOSX found here. This worked fine if I chose the built-in soundcard in JackOSX, but when I chose the Audio 8 DJ interface and try to start the server Jack says that Jack encountered a fatal error and will quit (not a Mac OSX popup like you get when a program crashes, but a JackOSX popup). I tried SoundFlower, but this doesn't have timecode support.
    Anyone encountered this problem and found a workaround or something? I'm really trying to find a way to route Traktor Scratch Pro (1.1.1) through Ableton Live (7.014) and still have timecode support. I'm using a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro with 2 gigs of RAM and OSX 10.5.8.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 08-11-2009 at 09:13 AM.

sounds like Jack doesn't like timecode :/ maybe send an email over to their tech support and see if they support it?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I read on other forums that people did got it working with an Audio 8 or a Korg Zero8. So sometimes it works without a hitch and sometimes it doesn't work at all. There are a couple of threads on other forums that describe the same problem, but nobody has been able to fix this it seems .
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

OK, I have been thinking and now I would like to know what your opinions are. Because I'm not able to route Traktor Scratch Pro through Live with SoundFlower or JackOSX, I want to try the following:
    * Select the Audio 8 as audio interface in Traktor Scratch Pro
    * Set output routing to external mixing mode
    * Assign deck a to outputs 1&2, deck b to outputs 3&4, etc. etc.
    * Select the Audio 8 as audio input device in Ableton Live
    * Assign inputs 1 to 8 to the audio tracks in Live
    * Select the built-in soundcard as audio output device in Ableton Live

If this setup works, it will save me CPU resources (because JackOSX isn't needed anymore). My biggest concern is: what will this do to my overall latency compared to routing it through JackOSX or SoundFlower (disregarding that it doesn't work at the moment)? I know that the built-in soundcard adds a lot of latency, but is this setup workable if I buy an Audio 2 for instance to set it up as Live's audio output device? Opinions are greatly appreciated!
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

I would recommend checking this thread out on "poor mans timecode"
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...light=timecode

That should help getting timecode working with Jack

Erhhmm, guess I'm stupid here, but I don't understand what that article has to do with my problem . I can't see the link in making two soundcards one and JackOSX not accepting my Audio 8 as an audio interface...

Forgive me for my stupidity
    Check out my work!

I think I now understand what you're getting at, BentoSan. Aggregate the Audio 8 and the built-in soundcard and use that one for JackOSX and try if that works. One question: what will this do to my latency, because the built-in soundcard will probably need a bigger buffer (= more latency) to output audio without cracks and dropouts. Please don't think thet I'm lazy not trying this out myself, but I'm at my parents's house and I will be here 'till Saturday.

In the case this doesn't work, my plan about adding an Audio 2 wouldn't work, because I figured I would need two extra stereo inputs (next to the ones on the Audio 8) to connect my turntables. I don't know how far NI is with fixing TSP so that non-Audio 4/8 soundcards won't give you timecode support (thus disabling Ghetto Timecode Control), but if this might happen soon, would an aggregated device consisting of an Audio 8 and a random 2 inputs soundcard still give you timecode support? Or would you need an aggregated device consisting of two Audio 8's or an Audio 8 and an Audio 4?

Thanks...
    Check out my work!

Actually no there is something in that thread about renaming the soundcard so it appears as an Audio8 dj device - that way you can trick Traktor into thinking any soundcard is an Audio8.

You already have a Audio8 but thats beside the point, as when your using the audio 8 though jack it wont appear to Traktor as being an Audio8, instead it appears as being Jack.

So the trick is to rename the jack connection so it appears as jack is still the Audio8 and that way you still get time code vinyl support when still using Jack.

Ok, I guess you misunderstood me (or I was unclear), but my problem is as follows:
    When I route Traktor through Ableton with the use of Jack and selecting the built-in soundcard as audio device in the Jack preferences everything works. If I play a track in Traktor (without my turntables), the audio signal is routed through Jack and into Live without a hitch. If I select the onboard soundcard as audio output device in Live, the sound comes out my speakers just as it should be.
    The problem is that when I change the audio device in the Jack preferences from the built-in soundcard to my Audio 8, save the settings and press start, it takes a while and then I get a message from Jack that an error occurred and that the server stopped. This is not like the message you get from Mac OSX if a program becomes unresponsive and it asks you to send a report to Apple, but an error from Jack itself.
    As far as I know the only audio hijack program that supports timecode is Jack, so if the routing with Jack doesn't work, the only other option I see is to replace the virtual audio cables with real cables, but I would need an extra soundcard for that. I hope that someone could help me fix this, so I don't need to spend (a lot of) money on something that could be done for free with Jack...
    Check out my work!

OK, I've did some searching and thinking and I think I finally got a workaround:
    * Use my Audio 8 as soundcard for Traktor Scratch Pro
    * Route the sound from my four decks to output 1 to 8 on my Audio 8
    * Get another soundcard for Ableton Live with 8 inputs
    * DON'T aggregate the two soundcards because Traktor doesn't support timecode if you use an aggregated device (maybe now with that ghetto timecode mod, but I don't want to take the risk to break timecode support with a future update).
    * Connect the output from the second soundcard to the amplifier

Which brings me to another question. Does Mac OS X support the use of two soundcards at the same time WITHOUT aggregating the two if I use each soundcard for a different program? I searched on the internet, but all the treads say to aggregate the devices but don't tell me that I can't use two soundcards if I don't aggregate them. Maybe somebody tried this before?

Thanks
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 08-13-2009 at 04:51 AM.
    Check out my work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast