Newbie looking for advice

Default Newbie looking for advice

Hey guys, just signed up for the forums. I'm new to all of this. I currently own a little Vextax VCI-300 Mark 2. And have been playing around on it for a few months now. I do some parties and what not but I have just been using computer speakers with a sub. I really need to get something better. I'm looking into getting one of the Pioneer controllers. Maybe the DDJ-S1 or SX. But that's down the road. Right now I need some good speakers.

What do you guys recommend? I'm a student so keeping the price down to me is very important!

Thanks,

Brendan

Tech Wizard

I suggest going to a music store (or best buy) and listen to some in the price range you are thinking. Speakers are very important but where and how you use them is just as important in the decision process so only you will know what is the best for your situation.

I myself have rockit 8's in bedroom studio, Hafler 5" passive monitors in my office, Mackie Srm450s with EV Live X 18" subs in my basement practice room/house party room, 2 bose L1's for mobile gigs and a fender passport 150 for outdoor small things. They all have different sound quality and purposes. Oh and I also have some very old computer altec lansing speakers with a sub in the kitchen when I want to mess around and frankly they sound fine for the intended volume level.

Xpozur

Depends on what you are looking for in sound quality/portability/room filling sound. If you are going to take the speakers to house parties, you will need something with some power like KRKs. If you are just going to keep the speakers at home and do this as a hobby, hook up your gear to a stereo. Right now, I have my booth out going to a stereo with 2 moveable speakers, and my master out going to an amp hooked to 2 large speakers. Everything except for the amp i got at yard sales.

In all reality, you need some speakers that will not wash out the highs with heavy bass, something with a nice clean sound. Check out Long and McQuade or AXE music and see what they have in your price range, and read reviews on anything that you like.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Hi Brendan, and welcome!

New here myself!

I have a pair of KRK R5 G2s and couldn't be happier with them. They are crisp and clear, and the bass is very responsive.

Just to echo what the other guys have said really, definitely take the room size into account, and then think about what you are going to use them for. Mine are in a mid sized bedroom and are just for near field monitoring, don't use them for anything else. When I get my production setup going, I will invest in some bigger ones, but these are just fine for now :-D

The KRKs were by far the best sounding ones in the price range I had, which was £250-£300.
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

I would follow on what DJXpoZur said. Goto the local music store
    and if there is a GUITAR CENTER in your area (even if its an hour away)
    check them out for their DENTS AND DINGS stuff.
    its usually used, returned and still in good shape.
    You want something to beat up alittle, thats the area to get it from.

Also if you want to keep the price down, you can actually haggle them on the price they tell you initially.

PS.
    thats also a great area to get a hold of a lot of their cables (1/4" and RCA) cables
    You never know when you need a spare and i have often got my hands on a 10' length for $5. Stereo, male to male 1/4"