Can anyone else relate to this?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Can anyone else relate to this?

I'll try and keep the story short! I've never been angry about taking credit as the dj but this has me furious.
    New years eve I was booked to play a "rave" at a local bar. After midnight "Jimmykins" and myself were supposed to play electro house, dubstep, remixes or whatever else you play at a "rave".

The plan was for us to tag team every hour or two basically until everyone was gone, the owner said "we are going to try and just not close." I was looking forward to a five am minimal set!
    I had never played next to this Jimmykins character, but was I in for a surprise.

At midnight Jimmykins set a playlist in VDJ, maybe 12 or 13 songs. I didn't say anything. As soon as I was done setting up, he said I could take it after his playlist. I thought 12:30 was a little early to trade off, but we had all night anyway, right? I get two songs into my first set, and he slurs something into my ear, pats me on the back and says "Have a nice night man!"
    ... like he's leaving?
    I thought "damn, I guess I can keep this going all night, I've done it before."(The cops wound up shutting us down, but whatever lol)
    I played the best set of my life, almost three hours, and the dance floor was going crazy!
    The promoter said he's never booking Jimmykins again, I'm all they need for any more club nights or raves.

Today Jimmykins posts a picture a friend of his took from the DJ booth, of him in his half hour of unmixed head banging, with the tagline
    "apparently i killed it that nite, that is what people keep telling me"

W
    T
    F
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Comment on it saying that he only dj'ed for a half hour..? I would be straight up about it.

post a comment asking him when the promoters are booking him next.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

thats definitely frustrating. i wouldn't bother calling him it out, imo its just not worth the trouble. I had a similar situation a little over a year ago. I was playing on a stage with two dj set ups about 15 feet away from each other. started playing my first track and to my horror i heard "clop clop clop". I look across, and the dj who opened for me was playing a hip hop track over my house track. i'm not one to lose my cool ever, but i went over and let him have a piece of my mind. after that he just sat behind the other pair of decks pretending to dj the whole time. I just wanted to play my set so I let him be, what could the damage be right? the next day i heard from my friends that "the two of us made such a great team and that we should dj together more often". he basically did the same thing with facebook as well, didn't stop bragging about how much he "killed it" -_-
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

I wouldn't worry about it, you're the one getting booked again, not him.

Just let him be
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Ask him how he mixed that ''breakdown'' at a certain part on his playlist. And just call him out straight up.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Just make sure you're the one that stays mature and professional about it.

It could also be, that his remark was just something that boggled him for some reason. (Apparently, he left and people had one of _the_ best nights. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by DJKyleHughes View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it, you're the one getting booked again, not him.

Just let him be
    exactly this! Anyone giving themselves props for "killing it" is wack anyways...

Like Tekki already said; be mature and professional.
    It makes you stronger!

Offcourse it's frustrating; but you're the one who 'killed it' that night and you will be booked again.
    Let the guy believe what he wants, he's not getting far with that kind of attitude. You will!

Tech Mentor

I didn't bother saying anything to him, I know it would fall on deaf ears, nobody else would care, and it's not worth the bad blood! I'll talk to the promoter, and make sure to keep jimmykins in my back pocket in case we need a half hour opening set lol
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast