Big Decison time - Midi controllers and mixers...

Default Big Decison time - Midi controllers and mixers...

Hey yall,

I'm saving up for a new midi controller and need a new mixer for my bedroom too, and i'm in a bit of a dilemma (standard stuff, i know!)

I was thinking about getting a Novation Remote 25SL for my controller, but I still like the look of a Xone 1D or two. The problem I'm having is, I always like to use 4 Decks if possible, and mix externally on the club mixer - however a few of the venues i've rocked up to recently have shitty mixers which often only have 2 or 3 channels (poor show, I know) I was watching the Richie Hawtin vid, where he explains his 1D/traktor setup, and was thinking - does he take that mixer with him when he plays out?

Am I being a plonker, or is it a done thing to take your mixer with you if that's what you want to do? Do people do this atall?

In summary - Xone 1D or Novation 25SL? Portable mixers?

Cheers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It depends on the club, tbh. I've been in clubs where I have room to stretch my rig and myself, and I've had gigs where I have to set up, literally, on top of and behind the other DJs. So, having a modular rig where depending on where you are you have different equipment, might be the best idea.

As far as those two controllers, it comes down to a specific preference, in my mind. Do you want to DJ in a classical DJ setup, restricted by that structure (and this is not a bad thing), or do you want to have a totally open ended controller that you have to plan and map unique to your style (also, not necessarily a bad thing). The problem with keyboard controllers is they require you to rethink your preferred methods of DJing. This is also their great advantage.

It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    I was watching the Richie Hawtin vid, where he explains his 1D/traktor setup, and was thinking - does he take that mixer with him when he plays out?
    Richie takes EVERYTHING with him. He even has a software tech guy with him. Pretty much all big name DJs have somebody there to fix stuff when it goes tits up.

I work a club that has a crappy installation mixer so ive made a wooden cover that i put over it and i stick the VCI on it. I leave it at he club under the booth.
    My mate that DJs for me when i go on hols uses the cover and puts his Korg Zero4 on it. If the club mixer is really crap it can totally mess with your performance.

I'm using a Vestax VCM-600 for a short time now. It's a midi-controller in a mixer skin. The faders and knobs on that thing are the same as on their PMC-580Pro, which is their high-end mixer. The thing just oozes quality and has a lot of headroom. If you have the budget and the room on location for it (maybe with the wooden cover idea from Karlos?), I think you can't go wrong with this one...
    Last edited by DennisHuiberts; 08-11-2009 at 04:29 AM.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Well,

I've been through a few setups now, and I would definitely say that you should go for something very modular. Used to always bring my own mixer, but i only do now if the clubs one sucks, like you said.

My current rig I'm building is using 2 SCS.3ds [soon to be 4 =)], as well as a SCS.3m, a Kaoss pad 3 and a korg electribe MX. I personally love the size and wow factor I get from the gear, and let's face it, we like shiny things!
    Last edited by Neurotique; 08-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotique View Post
    ..and a korg electribe MX. I personally love the size and wow factor I get from the gear, and let's face it, we like shiny things!
    dude, you're an electriber? that's pretty wicked! how do you integrate that into your set? (i apologise to anyone who thinks this is irrelevant to this thread, but it's my thread, and I don't care where it goes )

I'd quite like to get a kaossilator, just for the shiggles, but I wonder how useless it might turn out to be..

And I'm really really keen to integrate a Maschine into my Traktor setup - now that would be something kinda waiting for NI to develop the link a bit more though.

Modular is where I'm headed - but I'm actually pretty keen to stick with the keyboard idea, with a good top section with rotary encoders and faders and lots of buttons to play with. They fit well in a rucksack with my whole setup then, and there's no flightcases to worry about.

Haven't got it yet, still need to sell my second set of turntables so that I can afford one, lol!

But I will have traktor sending a master clock signal to the Electribe, and in turn send it to the Kaoss pad. Route the audio output through the KP3, then either send it to the mixer, or just route that back into a spare deck in Traktor.

I have to agree that modular is the key. That way you can always add The Next Big Thing*tm when it appears!
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir