Turning off/on Technics, DJM mixer, and studio monitors via power cut.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turning off/on Technics, DJM mixer, and studio monitors via power cut.

I'm lazy sometimes. Does it do any harm to my gear if I just use the switch on the power strip instead of the five individual unit switches? I have:

2x Technics 1200s
    DJM-909
    2x M-Audio BX8 D2 monitors

Thanks!

No, It shouldn't make any difference.

Tech Mentor

That is pretty damned lazy.

Kudos.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Alright thanks.

Tech Guru

thats how i do it...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I do this all the time too, shouldn't hurt a thing

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

You all might want to think twice about doing it that way. Speakers/Amps should ALWAYS be the last thing powered on, and the first thing turned off. Almost all the equipment we use sends a surge when turned on or off. With the speakers on, this surge goes through your speakers and can cause damage. If you've ever encountered a popping type noise when you power up/down, that's what that is.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    You all might want to think twice about doing it that way. Speakers/Amps should ALWAYS be the last thing powered on, and the first thing turned off. Almost all the equipment we use sends a surge when turned on or off. With the speakers on, this surge goes through your speakers and can cause damage. If you've ever encountered a popping type noise when you power up/down, that's what that is.
    i agree, and i always use my power buttons on gear. i guess i'm just used to it since i've been playing guitar tube amps for a while.

i would understand more if you had a custom dj booth where the buttons are impossibly hard to get to (though i would still follow sobi's advice on the monitors), but you said you're too lazy to push 5 buttons. that should take you all of 5-10 seconds to do.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Thanks guys!

Sobi - I am aware of that, I have them on a separate power strip with a separate switch.

Squidot, it's just a hassle because of where my monitors are currently positioned. I have to work around stuff and then tilt the monitors stands forward to access the switches. So yes, if it causes no harm to turn them on via a more accessible power strip switch, I see no reason not to choose the easier option.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Thanks guys!

Sobi - I am aware of that, I have them on a separate power strip with a separate switch.

Squidot, it's just a hassle because of where my monitors are currently positioned. I have to work around stuff and then tilt the monitors stands forward to access the switches. So yes, if it causes no harm to turn them on via a more accessible power strip switch, I see no reason not to choose the easier option.
    i hear ya, sometimes it's tough depending on how you have to lay things out. to be honest i don't know how much damage it may be doing by not using the power buttons. maybe none, maybe a little, but i would rather be safe than sorry.

this question might be better suited to the companies that built your gear. they could probably tell you if there are going to be any potential ramifications on killing the power at a strip.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast