APC40 x Kontrol F1 x Maschine Mikro
    Tech Wizard

Default APC40 x Kontrol F1 x Maschine Mikro

Guys, i want to get one of these.

I know they are realy diferent. But if you have to chose?

Kontrol is new, but i think APC40 have more features no?

And Maschine is more expensive, but you can play it without any computer (I'm right?)

Tnx for all answers.

as you know these are 3 pretty different items and it's all subjective.

apc40: this is a midi controller primarily used to to control ableton and comes with a special version of software specifically for the apc. i am unsure of the limitations of this software compared to the various versions of live. you could also team this with an audio 2 soundcard and use a mapping to control traktor if you please. the audio 2 comes with a full version of tp2

kontrol f1: primarily used to control the remix decks and again comes with tp2. this is going to be kind of useless unless you have other gear to use. the f1 is meant to complement an existing setup, not necessarily be the heart of it. you will be missing out on a lot of controls using only this piece. you would be better off getting an x1 in this case.

maschine mikro: it cannot be used without a computer, so you are incorrect. this is mainly used as a production tool and comes with it's own software to create music. it can also be supplemented into an existing dj setup (see dubfire and richie hawtin) by using it as a step sequencer or firing off samples.

imo, of all those your best bet would probably be the apc40 and a soundcard if you want to dj and produce. if you want to solely dj you may want to look into other routes such as an all-in-one controller. if you want to solely produce i would personally go with maschine (and maybe look into ableton or any other daw if you start hitting maschines limitations at some point). it's up to you though and you should be doing some more research on what these pieces of gear can do and what their limitations are.
    Last edited by squidot; 01-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    as you know these are 3 pretty different items and it's all subjective.

apc40: this is a midi controller primarily used to to control ableton and comes with a special version of software specifically for the apc. i am unsure of the limitations of this software compared to the various versions of live. you could also team this with an audio 2 soundcard and use a mapping to control traktor if you please. the audio 2 comes with a full version of tp2

kontrol f1: primarily used to control the remix decks and again comes with tp2. this is going to be kind of useless unless you have other gear to use. the f1 is meant to complement an existing setup, not necessarily be the heart of it. you will be missing out on a lot of controls using only this piece. you would be better off getting an x1 in this case.

maschine mikro: it cannot be used without a computer, so you are incorrect. this is mainly used as a production tool and comes with it's own software to create music. it can also be supplemented into an existing dj setup (see dubfire and richie hawtin) by using it as a step sequencer or firing off samples.

imo, of all those your best bet would probably be the apc40 and a soundcard if you want to dj and produce. if you want to solely dj you may want to look into other routes such as an all-in-one controller. if you want to solely produce i would personally go with maschine (and maybe look into ableton or any other daw if you start hitting maschines limitations at some point). it's up to you though and you should be doing some more research on what these pieces of gear can do and what their limitations are.

Great explanation man!

So, I'm Djing like 15 years... i work for some years, then stop, then start again, then stop, now i start again

I have a MC3000 now and like too much...

I want something to do some live things, maybe samples... Use ableton live 8, so i think you right, APC40 is the best one for me... I aways want one, so i think i will get this one

Tnx a lot man!

Tech Wizard

Man, let me ask you another thing...

Between Novation Launchpad and Akai MPC40 we have a big gap? A mean, to use with Ableton Live... The APC or the Launchpad?

The launchpad is a cheap controller that works well for clip launching.

APC40 is the quintessential session view controller.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    The launchpad is a cheap controller that works well for clip launching.

APC40 is the quintessential session view controller.

So, for a live sessions in ableton, what is the best?

OOOO i forgot to say, i have an iPad, and i bought the TouchAble... So, u think i can use that and dont buy anything more?