What on earth did I just go an do?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What on earth did I just go an do?

Today on the 12th day of the year of our gourd, two thousand and thirteen, I ordered a MacBook Pro.
    If you don’t know me, this purchase will seem completely insignificant. If you do, you’ll know why it’s not. I haven’t really processed this event yet (though I can assure you Apple has already more than processed the payment).

One factor which did not make drive the purchase
    • Software performance – I have a pc laptop that is more than capable of running Traktor and pretty much anything else one could throw at it. This fact is well documented around these parts.

Factors that did drive the purchase
    • Holy Jesus am I bored of looking at the f***ing Windows UI. The last couple of laptops I have purchased have been far more powerful than their respective predecessors and have gotten me overly excited until the first boot at which point you realize you’re still looking at essentially the same UI as you have been for last sixteen billion years.
    • Windows 8 – Got the beta and hated it. Got the full release version - hated it. It might be great for touchscreen but at this point all I am seeing in Windows 8 are a bunch of extra clicks.
    • Core Audio and aggregate devices – I spent months this summer trying to set up some relatively simple audio routing in Windows and it was a nightmare.
    • New/different apps – I want to try apps that simply aren’t available on the PC.
    • I don’t know sh*t about Macs – it’s time for me to start asking some questions around here other than always answering them. I do of course expect to be an Apple genius in the next 12 months so hopefully you’ll all benefit from that
    • All the cools kids have them.

Things I’ll be doing
    For one, I’m gonna dual boot this bad boy and see how Traktor runs on OSX vs.Win using identical hardware. More to come there…

Things that scare me
    Having to spend anytime whatsoever in the Apple Store.

Game On…

BTW - This is what I ordered: MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

I think one thing I would also take into consideration is also reliability.

Which OS is less likely to crash.

Which laptop has the best battery life in case the power trips out.

Which laptop is less likely to have a hard drive failure.

^ I think making sure you have a reliable laptop will alleviate a lot of headaches, and keep you from buying new ones.

For me I don't have an issue with windows but if I were to upgrade I would go with a 3rd party Linux OS, and yes I use Traktor as well.

Hahaha didn't think I would hear this news ever. Next you'll be tossing it all for Linux.

This is by far the most amount of money I've ever spent on a laptop. It had better be awesome....

Tech Mentor

I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'll be ordering mine end of the month, non-retina tho... Only thing that really turned me off was the glass display on the RD over the matte on the non-retina.
    - 15.4" MBP 2.7 i7 - Macbook 13" - Allen&Heath Xone92R - V-Moda Crossfade LP - Pioneer HDJ-2000 - Traktor Pro2 - Xone k2 - NI Maschine - Ableton Live Suite 9 -

Sound Cloud : http://soundcloud.com/alexandercocar

Welcome, we have cookies.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I think I might be gluten intolerant

Enjoy! You won't want to go back after seeing your retina display.

Well, we have gluten free cookies too.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Hahaha didn't think I would hear this news ever. Next you'll be tossing it all for Linux.
    Is anybody notable DJing with Linux yet? I would love to see that.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast