A better iTunes?
    Tech Convert

Default A better iTunes?

Like many iTunes is my base for 'holding' my music. I use a combo of genre, bpm, and star rating fields to filter my music into lots of smart playlists to help organize my music for dj stuff....

Ok my question is... Is there an app where I can edit song tags like genre and bpm for iPhone? Or better yet, make or modify playlists?

I would love to organize and modify songs while away from my computer. Right now I use star rating, 1 star = trash me, 5 stars = look at me, look at me!

Any ideas?

Tech Convert

To the point;

Is there any iPhone app that allows us to create iTunes playlists?
    or an app that allows us to update song meta data like genre, comments, and bpm?

http://www.mewseek.net/

This allows you to update basic info, but would possibly only work with music you download through the app, don't know about current or previous purchases....
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Convert

Thanks for the mewseek.net app idea... I checked it out on the web, but I can't find it in the iTunes store? maybe it's not available in iTunes USA?

I still want to use iTunes on my laptop. I use the work I do there to organize songs when I'm using Traktor so that my time in Traktor is more about the details of a mix instead of just looking for songs...

.. i just want some of the same features on my iPhone's Music app that I have on the desktop iTunes. The idea is that while I'm just walking around town I can update a song's tags or add/ delete it to a playlist... This would be a huge help when trying to come up with mixing ideas...

what does everyone else do?...

I drive a lot, and always have music on in the car, and come up with good ideas as I am driving about, but must admit its a bit of a pain not being able to write stuff down or add notes to iTunes. Guess I just have to rely on my memory until I someone comes up with a solution!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Convert

my star rating trick kindof works...

one star = trash me later when I'm back behind my laptop
    five stars = don't you remember? I'm special for some reason and need to be updated in some way...

but.. I have a bad memory, and to make things worse I can go a long time between 'updating' sessions on my laptop.

I'm guessing that apple doesn't allow updating of song files managed by iTunes when using 3rd party apps on the iPhone, otherwise this would probably be a feature on one of the 3rd party iPhone music players? ... and apple probably doesn't care much about crazy people updating meta data?

Tech Mentor

You could use Pioneers Rekordbox for this. It integrates with iTunes and you can tag files from RB instead of iT. Although I think this feature is quite slow. But it can be done, from both desktop and mobile.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Convert

Rekordbox seems pretty darn cool... I remember seeing a promo video of some guy balancing on a rope while programming his DJ set?... (I would be way impressed if the guy was getting kids ready for day-care while programming a DJ set! ... welcome to my world!)

Rekordbox looks to have way more than I thought I needed. I just want to update Genre, bpm, and other fields. Rekordbox looks like it can do this plus set loop points.

But... I don't use any Pioneer stuff. Traktor is my serious tool, and dJay on the iPad get's more use than I would like to admit. Both are very happy with iTunes.

I usually set up hot cues and beat grids within Traktor as needed.

I worry that Rekordbox might be a bit too much work, or may have features that get lost when going back through iTunes? It seems as if Rekordbox uses a database to map extra song info, and that database may not work with Traktor or dJay? It really sounds like Rekordbox would be a complete replacement for iTunes, especially if using Pioneer stuff...

Does anyone use Rekordbox with Traktor?... If so, what's your system? How does Traktor like Rekordbox's stuff?