Too many styles...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Too many styles...

Maybe this is something that passes with time, but i'm relatively new on the DJ journey and this is something that I've been pondering for a few days. As I like through my library, which is very much still in an infant stage, I can't help but notice what I think is an overly broad range of styles and genres. We talking from 1605 style techno, to laid back house, some mainstream electrohouse, some moombah, some dubstep, some drum and bass, really went through a dirtybird kick for a while and it shows. I'm pretty much a child with ADD whenever I log onto Beatport.

So the other day I'm reading the tribal house thread and get a musical hardon as I browse beatport, suddenly I start to wonder to myself "how likely am I ever going to incorporate these songs in practice, much less in front of people".

I by no means desire to be a musical jukebox, DJing to me is something that I do to relax and enjoy myself, I want to create art like I do with other instruments.

I don't know where this is going, hoping some of you guys with more experience can chip in and set me straight, or at least put my mind at ease.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

As with most genres once you get into really into it.

Look at rock/metal. Follow that map and see where it takes you.
    //Soundcloud//DeviantART//Need a custom dj logo? *Temporarily Closed, check thread for details* //
    Set up = Numark iDJ3 :: Akai MPK Mini :: Novation LaunchPad ::

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by davoh View Post
    As with most genres once you get into really into it.

Look at rock/metal. Follow that map and see where it takes you.
    I've followed that map for years, my iTunes library has everything from Death, Black, Nu, Hardcore, Screamo. I thoroughly enjoy music in all forms.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

I only genrefy generally. House, Funky House, Deep House, Techno, Breakbeat, Trance, PsyTrance, Downtempo & Ambient. Everything I own fits somewhere into these genres (Not feeling dubstepish style) for most of my DJ music. Some could be classified into two or more but I make a specific decision when categorizing and use playlists to sub categorize them. I try to keep it simple"ish", I've got a friend who is very specific how he categorizes his music and has over 200 genre's in his library. Different strokes. Do some of my tracks get lost in the shuffle? Yes. BUT, I can definitely give you a history lesson over the span of my 40,000 track library and take you through various genres within a 2 hour session or an all nighter. It's been said here many times. "Know your music" If you've got a serious grasp of what's in your collection, you should be able to take you listeners wherever you want to take them.
    Last edited by SirReal; 01-13-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: For spelling errors and drunken mishaps.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    I've followed that map for years, my iTunes library has everything from Death, Black, Nu, Hardcore, Screamo. I thoroughly enjoy music in all forms.
    As do I. Also it's fun mixing in Suicide Silence in with happy hardcore js. But point being there's several different types of death, black, hardcore, and screamo (Nu not so much really). Why? Just because they sound a tinsy bit different.

Don't look so much at it as too many as your library never has an excuse to not have something new.
    //Soundcloud//DeviantART//Need a custom dj logo? *Temporarily Closed, check thread for details* //
    Set up = Numark iDJ3 :: Akai MPK Mini :: Novation LaunchPad ::

Getting to a point where you have a wide selection of tunes for any particular micro-genre takes time. It takes time to refine your ear to the type of sound you want, and time to curate quality tunes. If DJing is truly nothing more than a fun outlet for you, don't worry about narrowing anything down. Almost every DJ (fun or professional level) starts out all across the board with no focus.
    Bottom line is forget about being a DJ, and if you find music you like, support the artist that created it by buying his/her tracks.

I'd say focus on a couple key genres and build around that or else you'll end up with too much.

From where I'm standing I started strictly house. Eventually progressed to play harder techno. Obviously there's more to just that(and don't even get me started to the music I listen to on a daily basis, from classical to indie rock to experimental to ambient to folk etc).

This upcoming year I intend on doing more things with 7" vinyl playing oldies 50-60s, and trying to work on electro (the real stuff from the 80s ) disco and also dub/reggae. TOO MUCH, especially when you want to fully develop your knowledge of these individual genres(if being a "must know it all in your domain" type of person is your thing).

Be selective and grow from there

Buy whatever you like and I bet you'll find a way to make it work.

Don't be too worried about genres etc, it's just a word. There is nothing wrong with mixing a tribal house tune with a techno tune with a bass track etc etc. If it sounds good who gives a rats ass what genre it is.

Tech Guru

Personally I'm trying to develop my own sound. It revolves around deep stuff, usually with a bit of a groove but it can be anything from chilled deep house to disco to tech house depending on the time. I'd say try and find a sound that's right for you. It's good to vary it up but you want to feel like its a mish mash in my opinion.

With me, I love techno as well, and its dead fun mixing it but its not the sound I want to play out so much so I tend to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy music in all forms.
    I would echo this sentiment, having studied music from the age of 5 right through to Degree level and beyond.

My itunes has everything ranging right from Gregorian chants, to some of the various niche-sub-genres that have been mentioned here.

My main genre is house, and then everything that it encompasses, with big emphasis on Progressive, Acid, Chicago, Deep and Balearic.

I don't limit myself to these though, if I like it and sounds good, I will buy it and spin it.

I think its good to maintain a broad listening base, even if you don't play it all in the studio, club etc...
    Last edited by ThinAir; 01-14-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: my typing sucks....
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast