Trying to Build Momentum For a New Night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to Build Momentum For a New Night

So,

I started a new monthly a few months ago with DJ Forge whose on here as well. it's a fetish/industrial night. We've had some good guests, and the bar owner loves our sound. We're even going bi-weekly in september...

Problem is we can't get enough through the door. Now the owner is understanding, but I want to get some results as this is my first night that's my own.

Any ideas appreciated =)

P.S.: JesC, I'm looking in your direction
    DJ Neurotique

Tant qu'y a du noir, y'a d'l'espoir!
    Berurier Noir

Bi-Weekly is a bitch to do. I would rather do it every week, but if its not possible, you have to work with whats available.

1st: What day of the week? (I would say Thrus - Sunday)
    2nd: Are you getting the 1st & 3rd week? (Best to do cuz its pay day weekend)
    3rd: Whats your competition? Is there any other goth/indust/ebm clubs?
    4th: What does your flyer look like?
    5th: What are your drink specials?
    6th: Is there a big indust scene?

If its not working with industrial, branch out to other dark music,....like darkwave, dark 80s, deathrock.

It would be dope if I could check out your night.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

Burlesque girls.

Thats all I have.

laters.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Those fetish nights LOVE the dark 80's and some fo that dark trip-hoppy kind of stuff also. And, to be honest, burlesque dancers could go a long way.

Getting the word out is the most important part, as is catering to the crowd that won't come out. It might mean you need to play 15 depeche mode songs, or 20 VNV nation songs, or just put on every Combichrist album ever, but you will need to grow from there after they adjust to your relative dance floor madness.

Also, booking out of state DJs from big cities like LA and NYC might do you some good *hint hint*
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Also, booking out of state DJs from big cities like LA and NYC might do you some good *hint hint*
    I see what you are doing there.

One thing I had a problem with was the size of the scene in my city. IMO the G/I scene is dieing, at least in my city. It was hard to split the group up (not that I wanted to do that). So every time I did a big event I would make sure the other G/I night wasn't happening that night, or nothing special was going on.

PS. Being a promoter is hard work and thus I say... It sucks big ones.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It's not that it's dying, it's that it's changed. Right now the best thing we can do as Industrial DJs is bring a lot of this music to three distinct crowds: Ravers, 80's kids and gays. In my experience those are the most accepting of this music, though they are, in many ways, the most reviled by the "ubergoths" of the scene.

But, well, fuck em all. We need to have fun, and spinning to a bunch of people who just want to bitch that Headhunter is the only 242 song that gets played, and how Industrial music stopped being made in 1999 just makes me want to go on a murderous rampage
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

I don't know too much of the Industrial scene, but I can confirm that you have to be open for other crowds. I'm hosting a Drum and Bass monthly and we've got a lot of HipHop kids coming wanting some faster beats for once. And many people just stop by to see what kind of music is playing and stay, because there's no scene attitude (to keep outsiders out), but instead everyone's welcome if they like what's being played. I guess it's always hard to please everyone I still believe it's better to appeal to more people by playing a couple of "hits" in between than pissing of the majority and pleasing the hardcore heads. My two cents.
    Vestax VCI-100 SE, M-Audio Firewire 410, Traktor Pro 2.0.1

Yeah, if I who am not a promoter but more of an open-minded clubgoer would give you one tip, it's to not be elitist or niche too much. See it as a chance to introduce new and good music to people who just haven't heard it yet!
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Industrial music stopped being made in 1999 just makes me want to go on a murderous rampage
    1989... :eek:
    *runs and hides*
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

What you need is girls hanging around.

Recipe for success
    1. Secure hot girls
    2. Secure frame (sex swing, hanging chair, etc)
    3. Fly me out to tie hot girls in air to said frame

Not only do I dj, but I am fairly good bondage rigger
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast