Ordinary day of a mix?

Default Ordinary day of a mix?

Hi, I'm new to DJ'ing and would like to ask you guys about preparing songs, samples and everything else that I dont know about it yet. What story you get while search for tracks and thinking of being creative? How long it takes you to make a mix you want it, what goes after...? I got loads of ideas about using samples in the mix and adding something extra, buying a midi keyboard, getting a loop controller, mastering my mixer and so on... but I am curious to know what advanced DJ's are doing to create something.

Jam. Just throw on tunes. When you do a great transition, or 2 tracks just work together, write it down! Don't even TRY to remember it!

After a while, you'll start to be able to predict what tracks go together. Don't worry about the Key of stuff - just know what sounds good, and keep finding good transitions and sriting 'em down. Pretty soon, you'll have a full mix worth of great transitions.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

That is an interesting point about writing down songs, I do write down what I think off will sound interesting like what loops to include, create or try to approach abelton style mixing (reason why I bought 4-deck mixer). As you said, I'm going to stick to my plan and see how it goes.

i normally have 2-3 tracks in my mind for the beginning of a mixtape and after that, itīs mixing on the fly. that means, that it takes me 30min-60mins to do a mixtape. after that itīs just converting to mp3, uploading it, droppping it on my iphone. et voila...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I generally try to go for an overall mood (which sometimes evolves over the course of preparing to record a mix) and build a tracklist around that, I seldom record sets at home without planning it as tightly as possible(cue in cue out, loops etc on each track as required).

Intro, mid mix, and outro are in my mind essential so pay extra attention in these cases I'd say.

Having loads of extra gear is not necessary, don't fall into that trap, you can play great with a 50 euro controller, what matters the most is the music the rest is all just an extra layer on top.

If there are any obvious screw ups in your mix, redo the faulty section (which you will have to edit into your mix later) or re-record the whole thing. Be very demanding with yourself as this will make you grow leaps and bounds, do not stagnate!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    i normally have 2-3 tracks in my mind for the beginning of a mixtape and after that, itīs mixing on the fly. that means, that it takes me 30min-60mins to do a mixtape. after that itīs just converting to mp3, uploading it, droppping it on my iphone. et voila...
    This, exactly!!!

OP, don't worry or over analyse things, hop on the 1's & 2's or equivilent and mix, that's all there is to it IMHO, you will develop from there. Mix for at least 30mins if you can, record everything, listen back, rinse and repeat.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Seems everything is more simple then I thought, great replays here!
    Another thing that bothers me is that some things like songs or pattern's gets a bit boring after a while and this happens to most of the things I try for example, I spend some time playing with fruity loops and finally I end up creating a interesting sound or song, but this interest last not for long and most of the times I dont finish it (there are loads of them...). Anyone had to deal with it?
    But anyway that is what I'm started of listening to things I created and then trying to remember failures in the mix and so on.
    Having loads of extra gear is not necessary, don't fall into that trap, you can play great with a 50 euro controller, what matters the most is the music the rest is all just an extra layer on top.
    After some search I found that AKAI offers really cheap controllers like AKAI sample pad and midi keayboad, well that will wait here for now, no rush.
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkox View Post
    Seems everything is more simple then I thought, great replays here!
    Another thing that bothers me is that some things like songs or pattern's gets a bit boring after a while and this happens to most of the things I try for example, I spend some time playing with fruity loops and finally I end up creating a interesting sound or song, but this interest last not for long and most of the times I dont finish it (there are loads of them...). Anyone had to deal with it?
    But anyway that is what I'm started of listening to things I created and then trying to remember failures in the mix and so on.

After some search I found that AKAI offers really cheap controllers like AKAI sample pad and midi keayboad, well that will wait here for now, no rush.
    In terms of production (which I think you're referring to above?), I've got loads of unfinished tracks All part of learning production process I reckon - exploring sound creation etc, although it is good if you can try and finish a track or go back and work on them a few weeks later.

In terms of DJing, I probably should have said there are always new tricks and techniques to learn but to start with nothing beats practicing transitions, recording and listening back, digging for tunes and listening to other DJ mixes.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.