my old man rant and today's DJ's.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default my old man rant and today's DJ's.

Long story short, I've been DJ'ing since I was about 17.
    Took it to the "next level" around the age of 21-23 when I got a part time job doing corp events, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs and private company parties.

Word of mouth traveled, and I got my 1st job at a club when I was 25...more word of mouth, promo guys, and fast forward till I'm 30 years old.

Clubs/bars in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

I was making more money DJ'ing on weekends than I was working for the Federal Gov....(well not really, but it was certainly a GREAT asset to a descent salary)

Got married, slowed down on picking up gigs, and eventually stoped the club scene alltogether about 2 years ago.

I'll still pick up the odd side job mostly for friends (weddings, corp. events, xmas parties)
    Alot of my good friends are still in the bar industry and they too have gotten married/moved on and I'd typically DJ their wedding as they know the party will be solid with a good DJ.

I recently did 3 Xmas parties over this past season, latest one being last Saturday at a private club rented out to a high dollar fashion company. about 200 guests+bf/gf spouses attended. age group anywhere from early 20's to late 30's)

absolutely banging soundsystem.

started out with some slick chillout to pave the road to some knocking beats later on...
    the organizers wanted "top 40 with house/EDM/Dub" you control the night kinda thing.

Start the night out solid, fatmanscoop/crooklyn throwbacks, mid 90's anthems etc...the usual stuff that gets crowds pumped...

not even 30 minutes into my whole night set, this dude pops INTO the DJ booth...

"oh you use Traktor? I know how to use Traktor...I brought a USB...you can take a break and I'll take over"

I kindly said "thanks but no thanks"

later on same dude shows up with his iPhone and a set of headphones and says "listen to this.."

seriously kid?

eff off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the kind of society we're living in now...this is absolutely NOT the 1st time this has happened, however it's happen more and more often.

Hell, I remember 6 years ago at the height of my DJ'ing I'd have 3 crates of records and a 2 chan. mixer, and NOBODY showed up in the DJ booth trying to "upstage" thinking they can do better...

now all of a sudden, the digital age has made everyone a super pro...with anyone with access to gridmaps and a sync button is some superstar.

I see this as a double edged sword...the technology has allowed us to take leaps and bounds in terms of sounds and manoeverability...yet has taken most of the guesswork/dedication and practice it take to DJ...it's no longer much of an art as it used to be...

kids showing up at clubs with USB's in hand looking for their 10 minutes of fame doesn't cut it for me, or garner any respect to the elders (again myself)

I'm 33 now, have a nice setup in my basement, and lately...that's where the best throwdowns have been happening.

-old man out

Tech Mentor

Although I haven't dj'd nearly as long as you I can relate to a certain degree. Whenever I do get booked somewhere there is always some kid that just started djing, and asks to take over on my decks. Sometimes they don't even have music on them, and just want to use my library. I try to be nice, but yeah, it does get quite annoying.

Tech Mentor

Request for music used to be the only nuisance. No it's that and request to dj on your equipment.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by O.D. View Post
    Request for music used to be the only nuisance. No it's that and request to dj on your equipment.
    I can live with the requests...I know I'd be doing good on a night if I had NO requests...
    even the "play it AGAIN!" requests...

but trying to take over control is just simply disrespectful...

I don't hop on the city bus and tell the bus driver I can drive the bus better/funnerer'er'er..lol

ERRY'ONES GONN' LOVE THE WAY I DRIVE THE BUS!! LEMME TRY!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Twin View Post
    I can live with the requests...I know I'd be doing good on a night if I had NO requests...
    even the "play it AGAIN!" requests...

but trying to take over control is just simply disrespectful...

I don't hop on the city bus and tell the bus driver I can drive the bus better/funnerer'er'er..lol

ERRY'ONES GONN' LOVE THE WAY I DRIVE THE BUS!! LEMME TRY!
    Haha I'd probably take the bus just for the hilarity that would ensue if it was a free for all. This is also just like letting some stranger take your car for a joyride.

I've never quite got the audacity of people who do these things. I think there are two things that are timeless, "who you know" and "social proof". Unless I have personally seen the person spin or unless it's someone with the social proof of A-trak, they're not
    "jumping on"

only communication ever between me and the DJ:

A thumbs up or an okay sign when I'm digging it.

This should be a law at parties or something.
    Besides if you don't like what the DJ is doing just leave or increase your alcohol intake.

Banned

The USB thing has happened to me before. Straight disrespectful. Just gotta take the high road, I guess. Indulge a bit in their ignorance. At the end of the day, you have more skill and class than those fuckers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Haha I'd probably take the bus just for the hilarity that would ensue if it was a free for all. This is also just like letting some stranger take your car for a joyride.

I've never quite got the audacity of people who do these things. I think there are two things that are timeless, "who you know" and "social proof". Unless I have personally seen the person spin or unless it's someone with the social proof of A-trak, they're not
    "jumping on"
    same...

this kid even had the balls to ask me "YO, WHY AREN'T YOU USING YOUR RE-MIX DECKS?"

okay, I get it...you've used traktor before lol...cute, now go wall hump and not dance with your crossed arms while 95% of the bar is eating it all up.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    only communication ever between me and the DJ:

A thumbs up or an okay sign when I'm digging it.

This should be a law at parties or something.
    Besides if you don't like what the DJ is doing just leave or increase your alcohol intake.
    I usually do the "point" lol
    ..usually...well, used to...I'm too old and married now.

when girls would ask me my age, they would practically shart themselves with disgust by the time I finished saying "thirteeee-threeee"

"OH YOUR OLD? SWEET! PLAY SOME OLD SCHOOL....LIKE FUGEES! OR EMINEM! YA OLDSCHOOL!"

*single tear*

I swear the very last day I was gonna DJ at a club that I normally played house/edm, I was going to throwdown some oldschool hard U.K. jungle all night and make people vomit with confusion

Tech Guru

It's funny, I believe people make these mistakes all too often a) trying hard to make an impression or b) just not having any respect or having a sense of entitlement when they communicate.

a) So as discussed above the kid who was highlighting the remix decks. We get it you know about the software but just have a real conversation (maybe not during the set, but after the fact) Ask questions/get to know the other DJ and talk about why you love DJing. I think people get into this mind frame that they need to be cool or stand out. When really the people who are laidback and come up to chat are always the coolest. I'm always more then eager to get to know those people more then the guy who's trying to prove something.

b) Entitled/people who lack respect: Coming up and demanding to take the decks/request a song/freestyle does not get you anywhere and it is not a unique behaviour. You're simply being rude. I almost never play these people's requests. It's the people who show some respect, say a compliment and are just cool laidback people. I'm not saying I need disgusting flattery "OMG YOUR THE SICKEST DJ I KNOW", a simple "hey man good set, what's your name i'm loving the (genre, artist etc.) Do you think you could work this in, if not that's cool, have a good one."

DJ's are the equivalent to hot girls on the dance floor, they can smell creeps (or in this case fake smiles for requests) a mile away. Your cheesy pickup line/entitled request is not the first and it won't be the last. In the DJ's case though, nice people finish first (who knows maybe it would get old after a while but so far in my experience it's 10:1 rude people over good people, and i'd gladly welcome more good people.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast