Traktor 3 and Pro - Tags compatible?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor 3 and Pro - are Beatgrids/Cue points compatible?

Does information stored in file tags (BPM, Stripe, Cue points, Beatgrid) remain useable in Traktor 3 after an import to Traktor Pro?

I've been using Traktor 3.4 for quite a while - but for better use of the VCI-100 SE I want to switch over to Pro. Unfortunately, I have experienced the beatgridding workflow with Pro is a real pain compared to Traktor 3. That's why I want to use Traktor 3 for beatgridding and Pro to make music with. I still want to be able to use the files in Traktor 3 AFTER importing them in Pro.

In my experience, if you clear your collection in Traktor 3 once and try to import a Pro tagged file, no stripe, BPM, cue points or beatgrid show up.

What's the best way to keep the two collections up to date and the files working in both versions?
    Last edited by clearcut; 08-11-2009 at 07:40 AM.
    Vestax VCI-100 SE, M-Audio Firewire 410, Traktor Pro 2.0.1

the answer for your question is 42 (by chance the same answer for question of life, space and whatsover)

nah... seriously i don't think there is a way.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You write the file to stripe, and import the collection into Traktor Pro. Make sure that Write Tags after Analyze is off, and analyze the collection. The BPM might not hold for all of them (but most of it should), but your cue points and grid markers should. And then just load them, tweak the EQ, lock the BPM and you should be good.

As long as you make sure to write everything to the tags it should carry through version to version.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    You write the file to stripe, and import the collection into Traktor Pro. Make sure that Write Tags after Analyze is off, and analyze the collection. The BPM might not hold for all of them (but most of it should), but your cue points and grid markers should. And then just load them, tweak the EQ, lock the BPM and you should be good.

As long as you make sure to write everything to the tags it should carry through version to version.
    Heureka!

gotta learn something every day...
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Wizard

@DvlsAdvct: Thanks! That's actually what I've tried and what works best to import all your previous beatgrids etc. from Traktor 3 into Traktor Pro. I read at NI that you must have Traktor 3.4 in order for this to work.

But even when I didn't let Pro analyze the files, the previous beatgrids, bpm and cues became unusable in Traktor 3 after import (everything was fine in Pro). Did I miss anything?

Also, I just found out that analyzing the bpm works much better in Pro... same for you? Really weird! I was very upset, because the Tap tempo button ceased to work in Pro. I have to guess what tempo a track is in, since one can only tap four times until Pro locks the tapped bpm. It seems to be a highly discussed bug at NI and here's hoping they'll fix it in Pro 1.2.

After tapping I set my first beatmarker on a snare and align the beatgrid along the master tick. Works pretty well. Any other ideas on setting beatgrids? I'm playing mostly Drum and Bass, so Autogrids won't work. I don't really believe they work on any genre

Tech Wizard

@Kupujte_Pytle: Shoulda brought my towel...

I can't remember if my cues work back to T3.4 off the top of my head, but I'll check. I think the main issue is that TPro offers 8 cues whereas t3 only 6. Let me give it a check tonight.

Also, in regards to the tap tempo section, I just use the Internal clock and tap it out there. It doesn't move the grid, but at least it gives me an idea of where to go with it. The tap tempo not working pisses me off something fierce, though.

The analyze works a lot better for me in TPro, I just need to make sure my range is set right. Right now I get a LOT of tempo's at 1/2 time, and I set my collection by BPM so it really throws me off.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

@DvlsAdvct: Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

The internal clock.. yeah, that's what I meant by master tick. Tick away! Just wanted to see if anyone else has good ideas on how to do this. I'm not really looking forward to beatgridding my collection, but mixing gridded tracks lets you do so many other things while they stay synced. It's a completely different way of mixing.

It has been such a struggle to grid my tracks. I can do it quick, but after I've done 50 of them I just can't look at my computer anymore. And I have almost 16000 songs, and maybe 10000 of them as spin-able.

It's just something I've taken to bit by bit.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Oh God. I may only have 2000, but it's still a pain. What are your preferred styles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast