30 songs?! Thats enough for like 3 sets?!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default 30 songs?! Thats enough for like 3 sets?!

Heard this the other night when going to my friends place to play some tunes.

Scenario detail: My buddy calls me out of the blue to play some tunes at his place. About 10-15 people, 4 or 5 of them local DJs, others being some promoters and some being regular club goers.

Loaded my USB with about 30 or 40 tunes, mostly new stuff I downloaded, a couple accapellas, etc. One of the local DJs was already playing some tunes when I got there and my buddy told me I could play next if I wanted to.

Plan was to switch every 4 or 5 tunes. I make my way behind our makeshift booth to the Technics, plug in my USB and it starts to load up my songs.

Some other background info: Guy before me wouldn't call himself new, but hes been playing tunes for about 2 years, but doesn't own any equipment. Type of guy that likes to only buy off the front page of Beatport and any tune over a year old is considered "old school". Ive been playing for about 10 years, but its only been the last 2 years I switched to digital format.

He sees me coming over, makes some room and lets me plug in. He takes one look at the song list from the USB and starts freaking out.

Takes off his headphones and starts yelling for my buddy, wondering why I am going to play such a long set. I explain to him that we're switching every 4 or 5 tunes and that I probably wasnt going to play all of em, just wanted to have enough for any scenario.

He scrolls through the songs and asks me why I carry so much music, which prompted the thread title : "30 songs?! Thats enough for like.... 3 sets?!"

The rest of the night was fun, just some beers, talking shop with other DJs, talking about DJ Shadow lol, and trade songs.

At the end of the night, the DJ before me says I played well, but should be considerate when playing with other DJs, as its rude to assume you can play for more than 1/2 an hour.

I brush him off, but as im driving back, I start thinking about todays DJs and how 1/2 hour sets are starting to become the norm, hour long sets are frightening to most and 2 hours is an eternity to most everyone except the older guys. I prefer to play at least 2 hours but to each his own

What do you guys think? Do 30 songs = 3 sets or one?

Tech Wizard

whenever I get together with buddies and have a jolly good jam sesh, it doesn't matter.

we just just chill out, nobody is out to impress one another, and somtimes i'll play a few songs, others i'll loop one bassline and make into 6 tracks.

just have fun with it, no pissing contest needed.

but 30 songs can be done in 1 set easy...depends how long your "sets" are.

Simply sounds like he was insecure.

Banned

30 songs for 3 hours? Who is that guy, Lindstrom?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Janky View Post

What do you guys think? Do 30 songs = 3 sets or one?
    depends on the length of your songs and the set length

Its probably sufficient for three 10-20 minute sets

Tech Wizard

i average any where from 25-35 tracks in an hour when i play, so it all depends on the person mixing haha

Tech Mentor

That guy just sounds like a nitwit. That isn't enough songs for that many sets, and even if you did want to play for an hour straight, he doesn't have to throw a fit about it. I think switching between djs every hour is quick, and switching every five or so tunes wouldn't even be worth doing.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by myndgruv View Post
    i average any where from 25-35 tracks in an hour when i play, so it all depends on the person mixing haha
    ditto. when i spin trap i can average 30-40 tracks in an hour.

Personally I love trading with other DJ's as long as they're not "douchey" and inexperienced which it sounds like this guy was.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow View Post
    30 songs for 3 hours? Who is that guy, Lindstrom?
    DJ half-track
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast