LOST in tune selection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LOST in tune selection

I am looking for some feedback from people who recognize the following.

On mondays I scan the internet for new music. I am listning to new releases, albums and mixes. Nothing wrong with that so far I guess.

But here's the thing: I almost like everything i hear

I can not buy everything of course. So how do you guys handle your hunger for tunes? It is so easy, all the songs are just one mouse click away. So should i approach it like buying vinyl and lets say only buy max. 5 songs per week. Or should I take one song and search for the best match and only buy two and go from there.

Some of the music I have in my library I'll probably will never play. Even forgot why I bought that song in the first place.

I hope someone a bit more advanced, experienced the same and can lead me in the good direction.

Cheers!
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

Banned

Download anything you like and then organize it accordingly. I began DJing indie electronic stuff, but then found I liked Deep House, Nu Disco, Disco, etc. So I just began grouping them according to genre. Sometimes I'll mix it all together, sometimes I'll stick to one genre.

Quote Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow View Post
    Download anything you like and then organize it accordingly. I began DJing indie electronic stuff, but then found I liked Deep House, Nu Disco, Disco, etc. So I just began grouping them according to genre. Sometimes I'll mix it all together, sometimes I'll stick to one genre.
    Thanx for the response!

Unfortunatly I can't afford all the tunes that I like So there's got to be some sort of better way to separation / selection online.

personally i started limiting myself on the stuff i download
    i dont want to get LOADED with tons of songs that end up being over a year old and i only played it ONCE for my live show or gigs or whatever.
    recently i deleted over 12 gigs of music that i just never used.
    i dropped an entire Genre into an iTunes playlist
    and went through each song. Around2,000 i think it was to start
    i only kept the ones i wanted in the playlist and deleted the others from it.
    Then i exported the list to a different location
    deleted the original location and moved new files into old location

saved a TON of space, and got rid of dusty songs
    Had i limited myself originally, this would not have happened.

Limit yourself to what you are SURE you are going to be able to get through and become familiar with weekly.
    Then when you have it all organized, then and ONLY then go out and get some more

Just because its available Tuesday, doesnt mean you need to get it tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    personally i started limiting myself on the stuff i download
    i dont want to get LOADED with tons of songs that end up being over a year old and i only played it ONCE for my live show or gigs or whatever.
    recently i deleted over 12 gigs of music that i just never used.
    i dropped an entire Genre into an iTunes playlist
    and went through each song. Around2,000 i think it was to start
    i only kept the ones i wanted in the playlist and deleted the others from it.
    Then i exported the list to a different location
    deleted the original location and moved new files into old location

saved a TON of space, and got rid of dusty songs
    Had i limited myself originally, this would not have happened.

Limit yourself to what you are SURE you are going to be able to get through and become familiar with weekly.
    Then when you have it all organized, then and ONLY then go out and get some more

Just because its available Tuesday, doesnt mean you need to get it tuesday.
    Now that's some good start advice. Thanx!

I should probably do a clean up already. It is so easy just to say to yourself 'Ah, I'll let that one just stick around for a while, maby I'll play it some night' That never will happen of course. And you then forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manolo008 View Post
    And you then forget about it.
    Thats exactly the problem. We as djs tend to want to use and gain the newest tracks released ( now i said RELEASED, not produced)
    so we keep aggregating more and more, but why?

Honestly, i just went about 3 weeks without looking for new stuff released and ya know what.. i dont care.
    The greater public that we play to at say a LIVE gig, is going to want to hear what was released yesterday (metaphorically), so again,
    get new stuff, ONLY when you are lined up with your old stuff.
    I just started doing it this way and it just cant get any smoother for me.

I just went through all the deleting with the hip hop stuff i have.
    I know i have well over 20,000 songs in House, Electro, and Progressive, so now i need to do those one folder at a time.
    But to be honest, im going to archive any folder that is older then 11 months and start with whats left over.

Again dropping everything into an iTunes playlist-
    listening to each one
    delete the ones i dont want
    export the updated playlist to a new location
    goto the original folder location and delete EVERYTHING
    recreate the folder but EMPTY
    take all the new location stuff, and drag it to EMPTY folder.
    Delete the iTunes playlist
    Drag all the updated songs back into iTunes (now they are ONLY the ones i want to use)

then i can goto Traktor,
    open the song browser tree
    rightclick the iTunes Playlist i just recreated
    and select IMPORT TO PLAYLISTS

from within traktor i can edit all the genres and any notes / comments i need to help organize then just for traktor.

Now this might seem like a HELL of a lot to do but this is a CLEANUP.
    If you want to keep this done easy,
    just do this each time you download a new folder of songs / or an album that you unzip.

1 ) Drag the songs into ITunes
    2 ) remove the ones you dont want
    3 ) export
    4 ) delete originals
    5 ) drag new into old place
    done

See, its actually only 5 steps

i let tracks sit in my hold bin on beatport. then i go back and listen to them track by track. often enough some tracks just go right out the window after that and the quality stuff remains.

Normaly i get a lot of Tracks by Podcast or Radio Show. I creat a Text file for each show. So i add the Tracks i like with the Date or Number of the Show. After some perod i review the Tracks with a good headpohn (eg HDJ-2000) or Speaker to them again.
    I prefere not list with the same system as i have detect the Track as first.
    When the Track was realy autstanding again then i mark this to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    i let tracks sit in my hold bin on beatport. then i go back and listen to them track by track. often enough some tracks just go right out the window after that and the quality stuff remains.
    that's what i used to do as well. sometimes when you are shopping for hours you start adding things you shouldn't
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by Manolo008 View Post
    I can not buy everything of course. So how do you guys handle your hunger for tunes? It is so easy, all the songs are just one mouse click away. So should i approach it like buying vinyl and lets say only buy max. 5 songs per week. Or should I take one song and search for the best match and only buy two and go from there.

Some of the music I have in my library I'll probably will never play. Even forgot why I bought that song in the first place.
    i'm going to help you out of the hunger that you are feeling since you want more tunes but don't have enough money. dig for free songs from artists via soundcloud, bandcamp, blogs, or even the thread of free music.

you have to be careful with this though, because many people fall into the trap of simply downloading all of things. hell, i've even been there myself, but i've changed my ways. i would recommend approaching this exactly how you would when you buy tunes. dig through and give them a listen and download the ones you really like, don't just grab them all because you think you may use 4 seconds of a song in 3 years from now. after i grab them, i give them a further listen when i pull them into traktor (usually on another day) to go through my process (gridding, cues, keying, etc) and i find that i cut maybe 5-10% that i let slip through. i simply delete them from my hdd. i very rarely directly pay for music these days as there seems to be so much good stuff that's free...i don't even have time to go through all of it.

if you find an artist you really love, donate them some money for being cool enough to hand out all those great free gems. have fun digging!
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast