DVS flips out regularly. Are my needles broken ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DVS flips out regularly. Are my needles broken ?

So I got a 2 x Technics 1210 + Korg Zero 4 DVS Setup.
    I have Ortofon Concorde Pro cartridges and Traktor Scratch Pro 2.1.1

I have these cartridges for about 8-10 months but they were used before I got them, they came with my technics. I always used a bit less downward weight on my cartridges then recommended, they recommend 2,5 g I believe and had them at 2,0 g most of the time. I did this to prolong the lifespan of my records.

Up until a few weeks ago I rarely had issues. But the last 2 weeks they jump quite easily during real vinyl sets and even worse: Half an hour or so into my set traktor flips out and the record jumps all over the place as soon as the stylus makes contact with the DVS record. Sometimes it makes the other deck flip out as soon as I'm cueing with the stylus.

The thing is both needles seem to have this.
    (or maybe it's because I took my TTs to a gig and they styli were damaged during transportation or at the gig. I was careful with them as always tho)

So are my needles broken ? I have a gig coming up on the 30th so I need to know wether I need to get new cartridges.

TL;DR never had much issues, last few weeks my DVS is flipping out, are my needles broken ?

Tech Guru

Could someone have messed with the calibration on your tonearm at the gig? It maybe worth checking the skating and balance again. BTW I swear by shure m44-7s for timecode and real vinyl. Great timecode signal and sound quality.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    Could someone have messed with the calibration on your tonearm at the gig? It maybe worth checking the skating and balance again. BTW I swear by shure m44-7s for timecode and real vinyl. Great timecode signal and sound quality.
    Recalibrated the tone arm right when I thought something was wrong. My needles were jumping all over the place when I did a real vinyl set and increased the weight. Only helped a little bit. Also checked the anti-skate dial, it was untouched.

Tech Guru

Hope it's just new needles or something simple. A tonearm got damaged in transit on my previous set of turntables. Not a cheap job.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tone arm lock?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    A tonearm got damaged in transit on my previous set of turntables. Not a cheap job.
    How do you know your tonearm is damaged ? I can't spot any damage and the tonearm movement still feels really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Tone arm lock?
    You mean the the plastic thing on the tone arm rest that can snap into place over your tone arm to lock it into place ? I sure as hell made use of that.
    I was also thinking of adding tape that night when I transported the TTs like I 've done before but I was running out of time and needed to leave for the gig already so I didn't have time to secure the tone arms better.

No - this:

The Height Adjustment lock. Once you've set your tone arm height, you need to lock it in place....
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

[QUOTE=Patch;574761
    The Height Adjustment lock. Once you've set your tone arm height, you need to lock it in place....[/QUOTE]

That's already set up and never touched it afterwards, checked it again just now and it still seems to be in the correct setting, the height dial and the lock switch as well.

(I have ortofons, the bottom of your cartridge, the piece of metal just behind the stylus, needs to be precisely parrallel with the surface of your record, right ? If so the tone arm height is still untouched and correct.)

If I were you I'd start fresh. Balance each tone arm, then add the correct weight.

I'd also give the height adjustment ring a good wind up and wind down. Unlock it first, then wind it all the way up, then all the way down, then back to where you like it. Then lock it again.

It might be that they needles are just worn. You can prolong the useful life (slightly) by adding more weight, and adjusting th eheight (UP) on teh tone arm if absolutely necessary.

A couple of not-so-obvious things to check:

1) Is the small counter weight attached to the tome arm? If it is - remove it.
    2) Are all 4 feet screwed in tightly on each deck?
    3) Is the tone arm lift bar fully retracted? (try pushing it down with your finger to see).
    4) Is anti-skate set to 0?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast