Confused about CDJ's and Traktor

Default Confused about CDJ's and Traktor

I personally have only ever used DJ Controllers with Traktor, but I would like to start using CDJs as well. Especially since most clubs carry CDJs.

How easy/difficult would it be to bring a laptop and have Traktor up and running with the CDJs? I see tons of DJs on stage with their laptops with Ableton/Traktor/Serato, and all they usually do is plug in a USB. But I'm being told it's actually very difficult to set up. So what's the verdict on this?

Tech Mentor

As long as you have the most recent version of Traktor, and the club has CDJ-900, CDJ-2000 or the CDJ-2000 nexus... the plugging in and setting up process takes about 30 seconds at the club.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Just remember you need your sound card as well, which should be one of the NI ones or a Serato box.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    Just remember you need your sound card as well, which should be one of the NI ones or a Serato box.
    Unless you have one of the CDJ's I listed above, which use HID.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Thanks for the replies guys.

So in the scenario that I walk in to a club and they have CDJ 800/1000s then I'm pretty much screwed for using Traktor effectively?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lsale66 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So in the scenario that I walk in to a club and they have CDJ 800/1000s then I'm pretty much screwed for using Traktor effectively?
    You would need a Traktor certified interface, such as an Audio 6 or Audio 10, along with timecode CD's and Traktor Scratch Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    You would need a Traktor certified interface, such as an Audio 6 or Audio 10, along with timecode CD's and Traktor Scratch Pro.
    Ok awesome, thanks for clarifying