Hip Hop!

Thread: Hip Hop!

Default Hip Hop!

Hello! I recently started getting dj gigs in my city and realized i was incredibly under prepared to handle any hip hop requests. And by under prepared i mean literally having like 5 songs... So I am wondering now where to start? I need everything from the classics to the new and fresh!

I can't tell if its a serious question, because its kind of like saying, "Tell me what dance music songs to download." Hip hop is such a rich and intricate genre that its hard to encapsulate in a forum post.

Just start with some Wikipedia-ing or Google "best rap songs" to get started. Build up a collection of music and listen to it a lot. Maybe read a book like this: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Payback-Hi.../dp/0451234782

Good luck! It's a long road worth traveling.

since you said "In your city"
    I would find the website for your local popular radio station that plays that music
    Go through their playlist from today
    and start shopping those songs

As for classics.....dont know what to tell ya

Tech Wizard

i can give you a few artists to start with i recommend spending some time in your local music stores hip hop section and taking a listen to a little of everything also check billboard and places like that but some artists that you want to start with are

kanye west
    T.I
    Jay z
    rick ross
    Pitbull
    50 cent
    biggie smalls
    dr dre
    snoop dogg

Tech Wizard

Just play all that trap music, its all anybody wants to hear nowadays anyway

^^ Thats the new, EDM based trap music btw
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MBP 8 GB Ram 512 GB SSD, DN-X1600, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, 2x Technics 1200 MkII

Tech Wizard

Depends on if you want to play new or old stuff really. Mix CD's are great way to get a lot the classics in one place.

i got you man, check out:

50 tyson
    eli porter
    dj smile
    skittlz
    the soundtrack from leprechaun in the hood
    the soundtrack from leprechaun in the hood: back 2 tha hood
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music