How do I get rid of white noise is audacity?

Default How do I get rid of white noise is audacity?

hey guys,

i just recorded a mix externally into audacity and i am getting white noise in the background of my mix. when i finish recording my mix, i go into effects and amplify my mix to make it louder. i amplify it to -0.1. idk this guy on some youtube tutorial told me to do that. is there any other step i should be taking in audacity to get rid of this high pitched noise? someone said to go into effects and click on noise removal and apply that but it doesn't seem to work for me. any suggestions??

thanks,

mike

First you said it was white noise and then you said it was a high pitched noise. Not sure about what the noise it. Can you post a bit of something for use to hear? I can't give you good advice unless I know what's really going on. I would've thought it's just a really high noise floor at first but... Also, what software are you using and how are you getting the external signal back into your computer.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Select a chunk of the noise ( usually at the beginning of the track ) and go to noise removal under effects and click on get noise profile. Then select all of the track (ctrl a) and click on noise removal again. Now adjust the noise reduction to your liking. Preview it to get it where you want.
    TSP2|MFSPECTRA|TECHNICS1200MK2/M3D|WIN764BIT
    MASCHINESTUDIO|KNTRLZ2|KNTRLX1MK2|KNTRLF1|DICERS|V-MODA

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    First you said it was white noise and then you said it was a high pitched noise. Not sure about what the noise it. Can you post a bit of something for use to hear? I can't give you good advice unless I know what's really going on. I would've thought it's just a really high noise floor at first but... Also, what software are you using and how are you getting the external signal back into your computer.
    hey sorry for not being too clear.

its a high pitched noise in the background of my mix. im using traktor. and i have an rca to headphone cable going into the side of my mac in the headphone port. the rca is going into the booth on my mixer.

Is there any reason you're not recording back in to Traktor? Also, if you're using rca's out as your master outs to your speakers, try switching them to the booth out and see if the hi pitched noise comes out of the mains, if it doesn't then it's not the booth out on your mixer and is more likely being induced by the input to your computer. You shouldn't have to use any "denoising" plug in or software as that'll degrade some of the signal you want to keep. It's better to find out what the cause is and fix that instead using software. Also, you mentioned having to "gain" up your mix when it's done. While a little bit of this might be necessary, you shouldn't have to use too much. Just how much are you having to compensate your recording with adding gain to get it loud enough? What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is a problem with your wiring or gain staging.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors